Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in the market for some new broadheads and curious which one you guys would go with for whitetail? I’ve herd good things about both. Just wanting to hear your guys experience and if you had good luck with any.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Trypan. Ferrule is bombproof. Can’t say that about the super long aluminum WT special ferrule. Not to mention the blades break real easy on those big GR.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I've shot the Reapers for over 12 years now and have only lost one deer due to a bad shot on my part. Other than that, the farther a deer has gone was probably 70 yards. Most expire within 15 yards. This is a picture of the exit hole from a whitetail special 2 inch.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Whitetail Special 2" is comparable with Trypan in quality, durability, and price. It outshines Trypan in cutting surface. I've shot and killed deer with both, and I've damaged both heads on normal double lung hits. Neither one is as durable as a fixed blade, but that's to be expected given their style. Neither one has ever failed on me. Both kill very, very effectively. Honestly you won't go wrong with either. It's personal preference.

That said, I will no longer be using Rage. My personal preference is to support American made. If Rage Trypan were notably better in some way then I would consider seeing it differently. But in my personal experience with both, they aren't better, nor cheaper, so the decision to use USA made is an easy one. That's not always easy to do but in the case of broad heads, it is.

I also like Wasp Jackhammer 1-3/4". Idiot proof design that works as well and they cost a little less.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whitetail Special 2" is comparable with Trypan in quality, durability, and price. It outshines Trypan in cutting surface. I've shot and killed deer with both, and I've damaged both heads on normal double lung hits. Neither one is as durable as a fixed blade, but that's to be expected given their style. Neither one has ever failed on me. Both kill very, very effectively. Honestly you won't go wrong with either. It's personal preference.

That said, I will no longer be using Rage. My personal preference is to support American made. If Rage Trypan were notably better in some way then I would consider seeing it differently. But in my personal experience with both, they aren't better, nor cheaper, so the decision to use USA made is an easy one. That's not always easy to do but in the case of broad heads, it is.

I also like Wasp Jackhammer 1-3/4". Idiot proof design that works as well and they cost a little less.
That is one reason I was gonna go with the grim reaper excuse it’s USA made. The rage doesn’t say where it’s made in the package I heard USA and others say China.

·
Romans 10 vs 9
11,125 Posts
trypans

untitledewaqsz.png

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I emailed rage and I guess all of there broadheads are made and packaged in the USA. I wonder why they don’t put it on there package ?

·
Team #9
8,768 Posts
I emailed rage and I guess all of there broadheads are made and packaged in the USA. I wonder why they don’t put it on there package ?

made as in " put together and packaged" with China made parts ....but I still prefer Trypan to anything else ..I wish they would make and assemble them here in the USA with A2 tools steel blades and fine American craftsmanship and pride and tight tolerances

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I've shot the Reapers for over 12 years now and have only lost one deer due to a bad shot on my part. Other than that, the farther a deer has gone was probably 70 yards. Most expire within 15 yards. This is a picture of the exit hole from a whitetail special 2 inch.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Impressive exit wound right there.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts

I stand corrected and will eat crow for being wrong.

Interesting. I've always heard they were produced overseas. Google says they're in Superior WI and have an open to public store. I'll be sure visit and check them out next time I'm up that way, probably within next couple months.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts