Archery Talk Forum banner

TT Spring Steel 1

563 12
Ok guys I am putting a spring steel 1 on my bowmadness and will be shooting beman 9.3's. Which blade width and thickness do you suggest me starting out with? thanks
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have no idea, havent got all of my equipment yet, just looking for some references before i order it. im setting it up for spots. im shooting 27in and 60lbs. so im guessing 300gr maybe a little more.

· Registered
1,326 Posts
Depending on the final weight of the arrow if it is below 325 grains, the .008 is the recomended thickness, but the .010 would work just pay attention to the sound it makes when you fire. If you hear a loud "ting" sound while using the .010, you are probably using a blade that is too thick. Just make sure how much your arrow weighs before you decide on which thckness to get.

· Registered
34 Posts
Ok guys I am putting a spring steel 1 on my bowmadness and will be shooting beman 9.3's. Which blade width and thickness do you suggest me starting out with? thanks
I shoot the narrow.010 on one of my 60# X-Force7s 60lbs,[email protected] grains; great rest, easy to tune,rock solid. If I were you, I would just go ahead &buy all 3 blades. Your bow will tell you what blade it likes.It dont hurt to have a few extras in your bow case.:cool:
Good luck

· Registered
799 Posts
Depending on the final weight of the arrow if it is below 325 grains, the .008 is the recomended thickness, but the .010 would work just pay attention to the sound it makes when you fire. If you hear a loud "ting" sound while using the .010, you are probably using a blade that is too thick. Just make sure how much your arrow weighs before you decide on which thckness to get.
Good advice here....the only thing I will add is you are probably going to want the wide blade with the 9.3's. I shoot the FatBoys and the narrow blade is just to "narrow" for liking with the fat shafts.

· Registered
6,681 Posts
What point weight are you using?

I've shot FatBoys w/ 140gr points off both a 10 narrow and a 10 wide and both have worked quite well actually. If running the 80gr or 100gr CB points you may want to look into the 8 blade though.

I know several shooting 2312's off a wide SS1 blade and a 2312 isn't that far different than a FatBoy or 9.3 in terms of diameter, so it can work. Just need to make sure you're not shooting too stiff a blade when you do use the wider since you'll want any contact towards the back of the shaft to flex the blade back down again. If too stiff, I believe the blade can cause some contact/flight issues because it cannot flex back out of the way.

A narrow will work on the 9.3, probably lessen the chances for contact with the vanes. However, some find it more difficult to keep the fatter arrows on the narrow blade during the draw. Nothing more fun than in the heat of the moment at a tournament having the arrow bounce of the rest, which usually leads to more tension, more problems keeping the arrow on the rest and suddenly you run out of time with an arrow still in the bow. Saw this happen at least a couple times in the past several weeks at major tournaments :(!

>>-------->

· Registered
799 Posts
no,no, the wide is too wide. the shaft sits way down in there. i've been down that road.
I realize the narrow will work with the fat shafts but I don't care for the shaft popping off at the wrong time. Anyway I have been shooting the FatBoys indoors with 4" feathers and havent had any problems with contact and they fly great. To each his own but I'll go with the wide.;)

· Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the info guys. i have no idea what my points will weigh. im still trying to figure out what i need. currently i need a arrow rest, sights, and arrows. i was thinking of the tt spring steel since ive heard so many things about it! and sword titan, and beman 9.3 or fatboys! never shot anything besides 3d with my hunting setup!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.