Archery Talk Forum banner

Tube vs Tubeless

3946 Views 18 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  DIXIEDOG1
I'm on my second bow - 2014 Bear Authority. This bow, along with my first both had tube peep sights. Are there advantages of tubeless? I know there are different size peeps, but don't really understand the difference between them. I mainly use the bow for bowhunting. Also - is it difficult to swap out a tube peep for a tubeless peep, without a bowpress? Thanks.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
7,265 Posts
Tubed peeps;
cost a little performance
tubes can (and will) break leaving you in a lurch
breaking tubes sometimes pop you in the face, or, worse, the eye
always turn straight

For hunting, I'd guess 1/4" is probably the most popular size. It's a personal choice thing, but to small makes low light shots difficult or impossible.

Changing a peep without a press can be done, but I'd never recommend it. Too easy to damage a string. Money ahead to pay a small labor charge for a peep change rather than a new string and the labor to change the string, and still have to pay for the peep installation.

Best of luck to you.
Tubeless peeps;
no decrease in performance compared to tubed models
a bit more set-up required to get it set proper in the string
without a good quality string, will not stay straight
if properly installed, no danger to your face and eye

· Registered
7,265 Posts
Tubed peeps;
cost a little performance
tubes can (and will) break leaving you in a lurch
breaking tubes sometimes pop you in the face, or, worse, the eye
always turn straight

Tubeless peeps;
no decrease in performance compared to tubed models
a bit more set-up required to get it set proper in the string
without a good quality string, will not stay straight
if properly installed, no danger to your face and eye
For hunting, I'd guess 1/4" is probably the most popular size. It's a personal choice thing, but to small makes low light shots difficult or impossible.

Changing a peep without a press can be done, but I'd never recommend it. Too easy to damage a string. Money ahead to pay a small labor charge for a peep change rather than a new string and the labor to change the string, and still have to pay for the peep installation.

Best of luck to you.

· Registered
54 Posts
Tube peeps can & will take a little off your FPS. Not much, but some. They also break if not changed regularly and can slip off on occasion. OTOH, you dont have to worry that it's going to line up correctly if its set up properly.

Tubeless peeps look better IMO. However, they can twist and you have another problem. Nothing like trying to use your tongue to turn a peep while drawn on a buck!

· Premium Member
27,366 Posts
I prefer tubed peeps,i like the way they look and it's a mind thing i guess but i change the tubing when needed..:)..Grizz

· Registered
2,080 Posts
Tube peeps can & will take a little off your FPS. Not much, but some. They also break if not changed regularly and can slip off on occasion. OTOH, you dont have to worry that it's going to line up correctly if its set up properly.

Tubeless peeps look better IMO. However, they can twist and you have another problem. Nothing like trying to use your tongue to turn a peep while drawn on a buck!
Ha! That I would love to see. Just a tongue hanging out trying to get a shot off? You know that from experience?

· Registered
6,554 Posts
I had a tube come untied at full draw and just about take my eye out. Switched to a g5 meta and never looked back... No pun intended. ;)

· Registered
7,798 Posts
As long as you have a decent set of strings, a tubeless peep is just one less thing to worry about. Plus it looks better on a bow in my opinion

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input - I've had a tube snap off on me with my first bow - didn't get hit though. Popped off the new one too. I don't mind as much how it looks, just want better, reliable performance.

· A.K.A BuckChef
4,847 Posts
I have never had a problem with a tubeless peep during hunting season, do the preparation before season and you will never have a problem.

· Registered
6,554 Posts
Are the factory Bear Authority strings good enough for tubeless? "Bear Contra-Band HP"
It's hit or miss. I first Bear strings were awesome, my next Bear the strings were horrible. There are ways to get your peep straight if they rotate.

· Registered
21,466 Posts
I shot with a tubed peep for 10 years and never had a problem. Never once did it break, never did it come off and hit me in the face. The only thing it did was turn straight every shot. You have to be smarter than the tube and not have it pull too tightly and make sure you monitor its condition. If you do that, you'll be fine.

Advantages to a tubeless peep would be that they are a little quieter and you may see a 2-3fps gain by not having the extra weight from the tube.

There are no disadvantages to the tubeless as long as you have a good enough string to keep it nice and straight at full draw.

· USMC 04/2005-05/2013
3,605 Posts
what is a tubed peep ,please . i visualize a think like a rifle scope mounted in string which seems a dumb idea . . .peace
Just a rubber tube that is stretchy that gets tied to the cable and slips over a little peg on a plastic peep. When you pull the string back, the tube insures the peep is aligned straight. No voodoo magic involved.

· Registered
221 Posts
Tubeless peeps are fine, if you shoot a tubeless you like that if you shoot a tubed you like that. Tubeless are more of a pain to get right. Even with good strings there is a bit of a settling that has to happen. I shot tubed peeps for years and would have nothing against going back to one.

· Registered
873 Posts
I don't like tubes because they break and are louder. If you have a stretching problem with your string and constantly fight alignment the TRU Speed Nock is a better alternative to a tube in my opinion

That said with strings nowadays it's not necessary in most cases...for the little bit of turning of the string that occurs a tight D loop can be used to line your peep up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.