Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife wants to shoot with me. She is Right Handed. Due to an accident years ago she is Left eye dominate. Does she go to a left handed bow? Go to a Hindsight. Close the Left eye? Use Both eyes and peep with the Right? Not sure how to set her up. Help please.:confused:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Don't think twice. She should shoot left-handed.

·
Banned
910 Posts
i am right handed and left eye dominant and shoot guns ,bows and billiards left handed. I shoot pistols right handed and cross over. ALL shooting experts recommend you shoot on the side your dominant eye is.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Have her shoot her dominant eye, this is the best way to go.

·
has been that never was
14,362 Posts
My Dad was left eye dominant. He shot guns left handed and was deadly accurate. But, he shot his bow right handed. He fought horribly to be accurate and stayed pretty inconsistent for years. He never could accept shooting a bow left handed and pretty much paid for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Assuming that your wife still has good vision in her right eye, I would suggest that she just close her left eye. That automatically makes her right eye dominant. This is the technique that I use when training new shooters for law enforcement. I'm sure that it could be applied to archery as well. It's great that she's interested in archery. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Not sure what kind of accident she had but if it effects her vision then I would go with L eye. Otherwise let her try both before you buy and let her decide which is comfortable.

I too suffer from this dominance problem, not only with eye but other sports and activities are also crossed. I slolum(spelling????) water sky left footed, skateboard L footed(100 years ago) lol. I can shoot a gun L or R and I have right handed bows and 1 L handed one. I shoot the most accurate right handed using a blinder over my L eye so I can keep both eyes open.

Oh yea and I use a Left handed mouse at work and at home:confused: :confused:

I say just let her be the judge:cocktail: :cocktail:

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Do a search as there is a lot of info on this on the site. I shoot RH but an left eyed. I close the left eye. I am a big proponent of shooting whatever feels more confortable as long as there is not a serious vision problem. Many top coaches feel this way too -- but a lot of local guys think you have to shoot the dom. eye.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I'm left eye dominant and right handed. My compound is left handed and I feel very comfortable with it eventhough at first I was worried about how it was going to affect me since I am right handed. But at the time I figured that if I have never even held a bow its going to probably feel equally unnatural on both sides and it did, so I went with the left handed and havent had a problem yet (knock on wood). The recurve I plan on buying I will buy right handed in case I dont like it and need to sell it. The right handed recurves feel awkward but as long as I remember to close my left eye everything seems fine. Its when I forget and close my right eye out of habit or keep both eyes open, thats when the arrow crosses lanes 2 lanes instead of the usual 1 :embara:

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
always easier to train the body rather than the eye. the eyes whatever dominancy they are will take over.

my gf is right handed but left eye dominant, she shoots lefty.

i woudn't do the clsing of the eye thing, your accuracy will improve shootin' with both eyes open. i don't know of too many pros that close one eye .

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
If she's never shot a bow for any lenght of time before,she won't be learning anything new or having to change an already ingrained style if she's taught to shoot left handed.
Should be a nice progressive learning curve to becoming a good archer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts