Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the wife tells me that when she picked up my bow they wanted me to come in to tune it? It's a 40# takedown recurve, what is there to tune? Other than nock point location, which I figure will be from 1/8th to 1/2" from level. Are they just trying to make some money from someone who doesn't know alot about bows? I'm going to buy some bear hair for the shelf, no sights, flemish string (I'm making it) that's all.

Gerald

·
THwack--CRASH
11,173 Posts
probably have a good looking wife!

·
(aka lug nut)
49,609 Posts
Ok, so the wife tells me that when she picked up my bow they wanted me to come in to tune it? It's a 40# takedown recurve, what is there to tune? Other than nock point location, which I figure will be from 1/8th to 1/2" from level. Are they just trying to make some money from someone who doesn't know alot about bows? I'm going to buy some bear hair for the shelf, no sights, flemish string (I'm making it) that's all.

Gerald
IF you have a plunger button,
then you tune the spring pressure,
and you tune the the plunger tip extension (sideways distance from the riser window).

Since you are shooting off the shelf, no plunger for you.

You tune the brace height. ADD or REMOVE twists on the bowstring to get the "QUIETEST" sounding shot, and the tightest groups.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I thought not much to it. She is the type to buy whatever she's told is necessary. I had to have a list for her and told her not to buy anything that's not on the list :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Set at recommended brace then youu basically tune the arrows to the bow. Pick your shaft, point, insert,fletching then start shooting a bare shaft through paper. Elimate your up and downs first with nocking point then move to your left, rights. If stiff start adding point, insert weight if weak start cutting 1/4 at atime till you get down to a 1/4 tear then add the fletching to it and that should bring it right on in to one perfect hole. Can be time consuming but remember to produce the same release everytime otherwise it will be all over place. After doing this it will produce beautiful flight with most any bh. Once you work the bugs out of the arrows and your release then you can tweak the brace for the best groups, feel, and sound. Good luck it can be addictive

1 - 5 of 5 Posts