Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to shoot at high level without constantly tweaking your bow? Are there shooters out there that have a pro shop do ask of their stuff for them?

I just don't have the financial means, to get a bow press and a bunch of gear to work on my bow all the time. It seems like the best shooters are always making adjustments. Whether it be trying different size arrows, or trying this draw length, or twisting that came, etc.

Myself, I'm looking to shoot more competitive this year. Nothing big, just got my membership to ASA this year and plan on shooting for shooter of the year in my class. I'm also shooting in my first ASA Pro/Am and am super stoked for that.

I want to compete and hopefully move up into a different class next year but I don't know if I need to be doing my own work or using a pro shop. I'm new to all of this and into will help and gladly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Is there a way to shoot at high level without constantly tweaking your bow? Are there shooters out there that have a pro shop do ask of their stuff for them?

I just don't have the financial means, to get a bow press and a bunch of gear to work on my bow all the time. It seems like the best shooters are always making adjustments. Whether it be trying different size arrows, or trying this draw length, or twisting that came, etc.

Myself, I'm looking to shoot more competitive this year. Nothing big, just got my membership to ASA this year and plan on shooting for shooter of the year in my class. I'm also shooting in my first ASA Pro/Am and am super stoked for that.

I want to compete and hopefully move up into a different class next year but I don't know if I need to be doing my own work or using a pro shop. I'm new to all of this and into will help and gladly appreciated.

If you trust your bow shop go with it.But as you compete more and if it's something you enjoy then start collecting the tools needed to be your own pro shop it adds another level of accomplishment to shooting Also it's hard to find time at a local shop to realy get a bow tune

Sent from my HTCD160LVWPP using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Likenjohn said if you have a good shop use them it may get expensive depending on your relationship with them.
I will also add learning to work on your equipment and becoming more technical will improve your shooting because you will learn to know if it's you or if the equipment has changed and you will also have the knowledge to fix it..
Best advice is save up a lil money and find you a last chance ez green press

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
I would wager most of the top archers work on their own equipment, and have all the tools to maintain their equipment and back up equipment because of their contractual agreements to show up and shoot (doesn't look good to have their equipment fail at a major event)
If you are serious, you need to get set up and learn how to tune your one equipment!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the info guys. Looks like I've got YouTube videos too watch in my future lol

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Work on your own stuff. It will amaze you once you get a bow to fit you correctly and dialed in to what you are truly comfortable shooting.

It takes a lot of tinkering something I don't think a shop will take the time to do. Find a guy that knows his stuff. Really knows his stuff. Learn as much as you can from him.
Amazing what a twist or two to a cable or string can do to the comfort of you shooting that bow.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
It seems like the best shooters are always making adjustments.
Not sure about that, once my bows setup I will shoot it for months without messing with it. If it needs messed with all the time I wouldn't like that.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I appreciate the info guys. Looks like I've got YouTube videos too watch in my future lol

I would also recommend if you don't already have some to go with top notch strings nothing worse than movement in a string I can run you crazy

Sent from my HTCD160LVWPP using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
If you are just getting started I wouldn't rush out and buy a bunch of stuff right now. First find a GOOD shop with a GOOD mechanic and USE him and I mean that in the best and worst ways, pick his brain every chance you can. Hang out at his shop and watch and learn, ask questions. As far as equipment start looking for a press but don't buy the first POS that Joe Blow on AT built, be patient and you will find a good press at a decent price. I have been shooting 3 D at local clubs since it started 30 or so years ago and I have been going to the IBO National events for the past 5 years and am now getting into the ASA events and in ALL of these shoots over all these years I have only had a break down once that effected my shooting.
If you are at an ASA or IBO event and Lancaster Archery is there I believe they will help if you have a problem. Be careful of the AT Wizards here that think they know everything because for every one that you find that knows what he is talking about you will find a dozen trying to baffle you with BS. Find a good mechanic and learn from him !!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you are just getting started I wouldn't rush out and buy a bunch of stuff right now. First find a GOOD shop with a GOOD mechanic and USE him and I mean that in the best and worst ways, pick his brain every chance you can. Hang out at his shop and watch and learn, ask questions. As far as equipment start looking for a press but don't buy the first POS that Joe Blow on AT built, be patient and you will find a good press at a decent price. I have been shooting 3 D at local clubs since it started 30 or so years ago and I have been going to the IBO National events for the past 5 years and am now getting into the ASA events and in ALL of these shoots over all these years I have only had a break down once that effected my shooting.
If you are at an ASA or IBO event and Lancaster Archery is there I believe they will help if you have a problem. Be careful of the AT Wizards here that think they know everything because for every one that you find that knows what he is talking about you will find a dozen trying to baffle you with BS. Find a good mechanic and learn from him !!!
Thanks for the advice. I plan on shooting all ASA this year. Just got my membership and am competing for shooter of the year in my class. Also, I'm going to shoot in a pro/am (ASA Metropolis) and can't wait to soak up any knowledge that is thrown my way.

I'm not new to 3D, I've always shot local events but nothing more than for fun or bragging rights among friends. Im mostly looking forward to that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts