Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ents: I just read the Easton arrows download on their site. The article was smart, slick and well thought out; however, I question one item on the tuning issues. Why do the broadheads have to match impact with the field points? When we do this, did we not just compromise all the tuning we did with the field points? Why not just tune the broadheads for hunting, and where they impact they impact and be done with it? Convenience? Am I missing some key information here? Thanks.
Bill D

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Convenience mostly...

But I find that my bow properly tuned, will shoot fixed blades which are properly tuned, to the same POI as my field points without further adjustment.

·
Registered
28 Posts
MY BROTHER AND I HAVE THIS FIGHT EACH YEAR - I FIND OUT IN AUGUST WHERE MY BROAD HEADS HIT BUT IF IT MEANS MAKING ADJUSTMENTS, SO BE IT - I TAKE MEASUREMNETS ON MY SIGHT OR REST SO I KNOW WHERE POINTS AND HEADS HIT - THEY ARE CLOSE BUT NOT ENOUGH TO HAVE ONE SETTING FOR BOTH - ONCE THE SEASON STARTS IN PENNSYLVANIA, I WILL PRACTICE WITH BROADHEADS ONLY TO BE SAFE

MY BROTHER WILL FIGHT LIKE HELL WITH HIMSELF AND SOMETIMES HIS EQUIPMENT SO THEY FLY THE SAME - I AM TOTALLY FOR TRYING TO DO THIS AND ITS GREAT FOR THOSE WHO CAN - JUST DON'T LOSE SIGHT OF WHAT MATTERS MOST AND WHEN - FIELD TIPS FOR 3D AND PRACTICE AND BLADES FOR HUNTING - KEEP IT SIMPLE

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I do keep it simple I tune my bow so I can shoot as well as I can, not as well as the bow will allow....

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
You can drive yourself nuts and waste some very valuable practice time trying to get them to hit the same. With my current bow my Muzzy 125's WILL NOT hit with field points at 20 yards. At 30 they are damn close and at 40 they are dead on. Figure that one out. Same thing happened with my buddy's bow that we tuned together. I've had plenty of guys tell me their BH's and FP's hit the same, but when I challenge them (nicely of course) to shoot to prove it 75% can not pull it off. They, of course, hit great at 20, but miss by quite a bit at 30 and 40. Myself, I'd rather be 2" low at 20 and dead-on beyond that.

The important part is good flight and accuracy(grouping). I sighted in this bow with the broadheads and just put up with the field points striking high at 20 yards. 50% of my practice is 30 yards and beyond, the rest is taking hunting style shots at unknown distances in the woods....so that 2" at 20 yards is no big deal to me.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
I like mine hitting the same spot so I can shoot the field points in practice, blunts at rabbits etc - then know the broadhead is dead nuts when it needs to be. AK Doug, I'll take that bet.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I`ll take that bet too. I shoot mecanicals and they fly just like my feld points I dont even practice with them I know they shoot the same.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'll take that bet too. My feild points hit the same as my broadheads at 10-40 yds. I found its a matter of adjusting you bow to the spine of your arrow or arrow spine to the bow. There are alot of other factors. fletch contact. spring tesion rest position, and other minor tuning problems that will cause a broadhead not to fly the same.. I was shooting 125 feild points perfect out to 40 then I put a 125 muzzy on the end and they would fly to the left. I tired adjusting my bow to compensate for the stiff arrow reaction the broadhed showed. But I could not get it. I then put a heavier head on I went to a 160 gr. simmons shark. and with a few minor adjustment my broadheads and feild points hit the same. (both 160 gr.)
A fixed broadhead is like a magnafying glass to the bows tune. A feild tipped arrow can recover quickly and you won't see aproblem. put a broadhead on and it can't correct itself as fast.
Alot of people won't spend the time to get them to hit the same or as close as possible and sometimes you can't if the broadheads and feild points don't weight same. But more times than not its a bow that is not tuned quite perfect enough or tuned to the arrow spine.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
It ain't that simple!

There is too much involved to have one fix all for making broadheads hit the same as field points. It can be done with just about any bow but now with any arrow. It takes a long look at several things. Your bow tune is just part of it. I found that your arrow and how it is built, nock to broadhead, has more to do with it than the bow tune. Spine, fletching size, helical/offset, broadhead type, broadhead and nock alignment all have as much if not more impact than bow tune. I am not saying that bow tune is not important. Your bow has to be tuned. Most folks get things shoot'n fine for 3D and then try to take short cuts on getting ready for hunt'n. It takes twice as much time for me to get my hunt'n rig setup as my 3D. If you got the time and patience you can get things hitting the same. Maybe not with the arrow you are shooting or the fletching setup. But you can get field points and broadheads hitting the same.

One other school of thought. If your broadheads shoot good, group well, and out at the yardages you expect to shoot, is it easier to move a pin or go through the process of finding out which of the many things are causing your broadheads to hit a little different from your field points?

JMHO

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I really didn't find it that difficult. Course I just practice and hunt with my Razor.

I shoot either 340s or 400 ICS Beman Hunters 28 inches the 400's fly slightly better with the 100's.
4" and 5" 11deg. heilical Bohning Vanes the 5" seem to group a little better at 60 yrds.
Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter rest
Magnus Stingers 100 grain broadheads
This setup shoots to exactly the same POI, I didn't have to make any adjustments from my field points setup.

I have played around with 100 and 125 grain Montec G5's, the 100 grain will group almost as well as my field points out to 60 yards. The 125's open up slightly but I could hunt with them as well.
IMO it is worth the effort to tune your entire setup, my bow is smooth and quite, and deadly. A real pleasure to shoot.

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
No bet, just a challenge. Most guys I've been around can't produce. They fly CLOSE but not the same. I have nothing to hide and will readily admit where mine hit. BTW my old PSE Fireflight has no problems grouping a mixed batch into an arrow touching group if I'm in the mood to damage shafts. Just can't seem to make this new bow do it. However, broadheads group just as tight as field points....just a little lower at 20 yards.

Timbow, that's cheating ;)

Speed Freak, that's exactly why mechanicals are so popular, it doesn't take much effort to make them work. Unfortunately they are illegal on moose and grizzly bears up here.

Centershot, with the new bow my Judos and blunts impact with field points. A freezer full of grouse and rabbits attest to this :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts