Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you tune your bow with one BH (mech.) and one arrow or should all arrows and BH be shot for tuning?
Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
If all arrows basically have the same weight you can shoot all of them but this may change if you use diffrent brands,best to stick to the ame brand,same length and same grain

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
poor-m ....before I take anything to the woods I have tested it...I shoot every arrow and every broad head and every combination there of....I have found with the same broadheads that one will fly on one arrow better than another....they can all come out of the same package, weigh the same but some will fly better on this arrow or that arrow...so for me I test everything before going to the woods...I have also picked up a dozen new arrows and found that maybe 2 of them will not group with the rest no matter what you do....well I don't want that arrow flying at that nice buck that is broadside at 20 yds.. I figure that I owe it to the animal to be thourogh.....see what some others say...this is just me!

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I think the absolute best way is to test each and every exact arrow/broadhead combination before you take it into the woods so you are 100% sure, just like Kildog said. This is especially true with fixed-blade broadheads, because a slightly misaligned or malformed broadhead can make a big difference on how that arrow flies, and the only way to find out is to try it.

The one thing I don't like about this is that it dulls-up the blades -- I'd rather be shooting brand-new blades at the real thing.

That being said, I do cut some corners on this, but you have to be careful about which corners. First of all, I use mechanical broadheads which makes things a lot less critical. I shoot all my arrows with field points first, to eliminate the bad arrows. Then I shoot them with the Spitfire heads, with the practice blades. Then I check all of the actual installed broadheads with the real blades for straightness by spinning them; if they aren't perfectly straight I either make them straight or cull them out.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 8 of the last doz. I bought that have been shot only twice then put away for hunting, they were the better of the doz for me. I then get a real fine hair net and rub it over the shaft to check for nicks or anything else that might have happened. If the hair net snags the arrow is not used. ( learned the hard way shot at a really nice 4 pointer nock stayed on string because i didn't check the arrow good) I will shoot all my arrows with the broadheads on then sharpen them. Just wasn't sure with the mech heads first time using them.
THANKS everyone.
P.S. season opens for elk in 46 days.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You can take some dental floss or serving and tie the mechanical blades so they won't open.For mechanicals I find that if the arrow shoots good with a field point and the arrow with a broadhead spins true you won't have any problems.

CB

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I paper tune and group tune with field points, get it sighted in, then screw in the Rocket mechanicals. They fly to the exact same point of impact as field tips. Easy as pie.....

·
Registered
585 Posts
You have to be an experienced believer with a few years under your belt of seeing what works and what don't.I know if my bow is tuned well and my arrow shaft,insert,knock and broadhead are all put together straight,the arrow will fly perfectly if I make a clean release.Still,I will fly all my razor head tipped arrows at least once for confidence ,touch up the edges and away we go.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts