Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I started to really tune a new bow. I got it perfect thru paper, but when I walked back tuned I needed to move my rest a little more... So then I shot it thru paper and I had a right tear. So which is more important???? I am not a pro tuner just trying to learn how... Hopefully I will be able to buy a press and make a draw board here in the future...

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
First off, was this good tears at multiple distances? If not, then go back to it and work it until it does.

Secondly, is your sight levelled properly and were you using the bubble while walkback tuning? 'Cause if not all you did was de-tune your bow. That right tear would put bare shafts and broadheads to the left of field point tipped arrows, so this means the bow is NOT tuned, regardless of the WB results.

I'd suggest just getting the good tears, levelling the sight in both 2nd and 3rd axis then checking with bareshafts and/or broadheads to verify. Walkback isn't very precise and it doesn't offer much insight into how well your arrows are flying, as you just noticed.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Paper tune with wax paper, it will show the slightest tear. I personally paper tune to a perfect bullet hole at 6ft. I check it once in a while just to see at between 8-10 ft. Past that 10 ft. mark, the arrow's fletching's start taking control. I believe the reading you get at 6 ft. is the most important. At 8-10ft, sometimes the arrow's varience in spine will show a completley different tear than you had at 6ft. I get all my arrows shooting a perfect bullet hole at 6ft. If you have a couple of arrows that for whatever reason will not bullet hole with the rest of the dozen, take and index your arrow nock ( turn your arrow so you have a different cock vane pointing up). By doing this, you will find a position where it should bullet hole with the rest of your arrows.
Paper tuning is the only tuning I do. I then go out and get my sight very close at 20yds. I then fine tune my sight at 40 yds. The micro adjustments you make to the sight at 40 usually have no affect at 20yds. Paper tuning is the only true way to tell if the arrow is leaving the bow as straight as possible. I have always had very good luck getting broadheads and fieldpoints to hit the same spot out to 40-50yds with just paper tuning.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
What distance should I shoot it thru paper at????
Like Bonz said, get good holes at a few distances, but don't bother going past 10 yards since even bad flying arrows should be stabilized by then. I do a few from 3' to 12', then I check other methods and they always turn out a waste of time.

·
Banned
1,520 Posts
i paper tuned my elite to bullet holes was was way out of cs so i put it at cs an walkback tuned grouping bhs an fps out to 40 with no prob ill prob never paper tune again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts