Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Pronounced like 'RC Cola'
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet another tuning issue thread. Yay! So here is what is going on. Using X10s, right handed shooter, Beiter plunger. I set my center shot dead on with a stiff plunger (no spring) and my fletched and bare stack right on top of each other at 30m. I throw the medium tension spring in and set my centershot to push the shaft away from sight window of the bow, string on top of the right edge of the shaft. Now my bareshafts are several inches right of my fletched.

Do I trust these bareshafts? So they are indicating weak? I went back and followed the tuning for tens guide and when it told me to not touch the sight from the stiff plunger and then increase plunger tension to get the shafts to go where the stiff plunger was going. I had to go from the medium Beiter spring to the heavy spring (though the Beiter manual says the "medium" spring is called "heavy" and the heavy is called "extra heavy"). This is much too stiff for my liking.

Any insights?

·
Genesis 21:20
22,536 Posts
I knew you were going to say Right...

Move the arrow in closer to center. X10's like to be shot nearly dead center. Just a mm or two out is all they want. Then, stiffen your spring tension and see what you get.

You'll probably end up with a stiffer tension than you are used to.

John

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Have you tested for contact with some foot powder?

*EDIT*
I retract my question because John is more experienced than me and sounds like he probably has the right answer.

·
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks John. Ill try that out. Should I be averse to using the extra heavy spring or should I be fine with using it?

And thanks for the input, spangler. I actually forgot to check for clearance issues because the arrows were flying pretty well.

·
22,536 Posts
Andrew, I assumed no contact issues because he's shooting a bare shaft, but if there are contact issues, he has bigger problems than centershot and plunger tension! ;)

Arsi, the stiff plunger (T4T) method only gets you in the ballpark. If moving the arrow closer to center and increasing spring tension doesn't work, then try backing off your limb bolts a little bit.

Oh, and you wouldn't believe how stiff my plunger has been for some of my outdoor setups. And they shot fantastic.

John

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Andrew, I assumed no contact issues because he's shooting a bare shaft, but if there are contact issues, he has bigger problems than centershot and plunger tension! ;)

Arsi, the stiff plunger (T4T) method only gets you in the ballpark. If moving the arrow closer to center and increasing spring tension doesn't work, then try backing off your limb bolts a little bit.

Oh, and you wouldn't believe how stiff my plunger has been for some of my outdoor setups. And they shot fantastic.

John

Actually I was thinking about contact in the fletched arrows :) But I retracted because I have little experience with x10 arrows and you have more.

·
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well ive got a nice laundry list of things to do this Saturday haha. Ill double check clearance issues. Im pretty sure im fine but cant be too sure. Ill fiddle around with the center shot and see how that goes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Arsi,

I've had the same problem with my beiter on the RX bow. Button is super stiff compared to my securebutton 2 plunger on the X-appeal with the same arrows shot and same draw weight. Not sure why but it works at 70m.

·
22,536 Posts
Different risers can require different plunger spring tensions. Each riser is stiffer or softer than the next.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Arsi,

For my own curiosity, when the bare shafts are hitting to the right of the fletched shafts, are the bare shafts parallel to the fletched shafts (are the bare going in at the same angle as the fletched)?

·
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I cant remember anymore. Though im shooting at some pretty uneven excelsior bales. If I did remember, it probably wouldnt be an accurate showing. Ended up sticking with a slightly stiff plunger and everything is flying well. Walkback shows straight down and grouping is acceptable for my skill level haha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts