Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a conversation with another guy that experienced te same thing i did. I switched from a dual caliper to a hook release and all the sudden my arrows won't paper tune. Constant right tear with the hook while the dual caliper shoots bullet holes and bare shafts awesome. Do is the hook just inducing torque on the string and causing horizontal string travel?

·
Registered
462 Posts
im using the fang from tru ball and I shoot a lot better with it verses the scott that I have ...no issue so it must be you subconsciously torqueing your wrist or something

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
Yes, different releases will tune differently.

A few years ago, I helped a friend with an experiment. He shot through paper with a double caliper release and a single caliper release from the same manufacturer, Scott I think. We could easily tune for either release, but the other release would give about a 2" tear.

High speed video showed the reason is that the single caliper release gives a little sideways push to the nock end of the arrow. Most thumb trigger and hinge releases also give a little lateral push.

The lateral push from the release is very small, but it is enough to make a difference while tuning.

Allen

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yes, different releases will tune differently.

A few years ago, I helped a friend with an experiment. He shot through paper with a double caliper release and a single caliper release from the same manufacturer, Scott I think. We could easily tune for either release, but the other release would give about a 2" tear.

High speed video showed the reason is that the single caliper release gives a little sideways push to the nock end of the arrow. Most thumb trigger and hinge releases also give a little lateral push.

The lateral push from the release is very small, but it is enough to make a difference while tuning.

Allen
Not just that!
Different releases changes a bunch of stuff!
Slight string osculation hook vs. caliper, anchor position, often bow draw length requirements change and some micro things I don't even know about!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Timmy G and I were talking about this the other day. That there is in face some issues with the loop not being able to swing away from the hook fast enough and that we are now is search mode for the perfect gated jaw style release or coming up with one..

·
Banned
1,785 Posts
Timmy G and I were talking about this the other day. That there is in face some issues with the loop not being able to swing away from the hook fast enough and that we are now is search mode for the perfect gated jaw style release or coming up with one..
It matters not , as long as the action repeats its self. The D loop can wrap around your head as long as it unwraps the same way on every shot . That said it more than one person has stated a pull thru is the most consistent release mechanism available.
The advantages of shooting a hinge or hook style using "back tension " is you should be running on your subconscious ( not punching nor command shooting )
If you are in fact shooting via your subconscious your brain creates closer and makes micro adjustments. Some times your brain will send a signal to make a larger adjustment at the physical sight. Personally I will reach down and give my sight a click or 2 at twenty yards , this adjustment is helping my brain more than moving my physical POI.

·
Banned
1,785 Posts
Can you elaborate a bit more? Different anchor? So there is or isn't lateral torque from a hook on the d loop?
Pretty much every release is going to give most archers a different point of impact , which also means a bit of retuning. Dont think of it as torque ( negative thoughts = negative results ).
Depending on what sport you choose in archery there are ways of setting your "facial anchor " that can facilitate same POI with different styles of a release -
I have found if I drop my facial anchor to under the jaw line and my hand almost parallel I can get very close to the same POI with almost any hand held release.
However this is not my strongest most accurate facial anchor.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
If the release/anchor combo is causing the string to dig into your face, it can cause problems of this sort.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a quickie 1+. There is some resistance as the hook swings open from the elastic band. Substantial tension actually. It doesn't swing open freely. Seems like it would slow the string down and cause considerable lateral torque on the d loop.

·
OWN YOUR SHOT!
3,465 Posts
Cut the band on the quickie and manually set the trigger head or hook. I shoot a rx 1 and a quickie and have no problems but if the rubber band is causing problems I would just cut it off. I have been looking at the carter whatever release and it forces the d loop to the same spot every time and looks nice.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
The Quickie is easily the favorite release I've ever owned. But the first thing did to both of mine was get rid of that stupid elastic string. It will be shot in a couple months anyway.

Also what tension spring are you using? I found that the heavy tension did not work well for me. It definitely affected my shot. Try a different spring and see if that changes things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts