Archery Talk Forum banner

tuning prob ?

760 Views 16 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  BillyRay
i have a diamond edge bow and when i get it paper tuned the arrow is pointing slightly up in the air,this is contrary to what i have always been told that the arrow should be level or slightly down on the front, anyone else ever run into this or is it something that im doing wrong. the funny thing is that the arrows punch through paper with bullet hole tear any help or words of advice would be appreciated
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the rest that is on now is quick tune 800 and i had a 3d rover on it but both were the same i tried the tension on both rests but if i set it weaker it wont hold up the arrow so you might be right in the timing thing very possible will have to check that out thanks for info if you have more please let me know thanks

· Registered
15,839 Posts
The edge is a true dual cam bow. The rest, I believe is a prong type of rest. All prong rest should be set so the arrow is nocked about a 1/4" above level. This keeps the arrow from running down the length of the rest.

I agree with the other guys, you have a timing or tiller problem.

· Registered
720 Posts
same...check you cam timing. Draw your bow and see if you cams are contacting the cables at the same time. That should get you close. Then You can try creep tuning to get your timing near perfect.

after that see if that changes your paper tune and arrow orientation at rest.

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
prob solved

hey guys thanks for all info just came in from playing with bow and the tiller was out about 1/8 in,the timing was out about the same changed that and i was getting alittle fletch interference also im now getting good flight gave up paper tuning because i came to conclusion that it is only going to give me good flight at that one distance maybe im wrong if i am please tell me but right now arrow flight is good with good groups thanks alot

· *Chick Repellent*
21,419 Posts
Well not sure why you are wanting to give up on the paper tuning at this point, since that is where you noticed you had a problem?? Was your arrow flight and grouping good before you changed everything?? If it were me I would at least paper tune again to see if your changes had any effect on how the arrow is acting coming out of the bow.

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey guys i did try the paper tune deal again and its the same thing the arrow still points up way to far i cant explain why this is happening nor do i know anyone around here that could give me the answear. right now it is shooting good and good groups with the arrow setting about level maybe slightly down. through paper it tails high at about 7 feet same as i was shooting before i changed everything i cant figure it out

· Registered
720 Posts
well....

I'll say this....I don't know how far up you're talking about but....

I used to think that if you have low nock point that you couldn't achieve good arrow flight or something was wrong...I wasn't going to tell you this because there is a part of me that still believes that your nock point "should" be level or a little high to prevent fletch contact and riding the rails of your rest.... in anycase, on my martin slayer my nock point is "way way" low. almost about 1/4"

I tuned for days trying to figure it out. my bow just kept telling me I need to lower my nock point (or raise my rest). My broad heads kept hitting low at 40 yards, my bareshafts were still reading nock high. I powdered tested, creep tuned, checked tiller. Everything was fine. Bow was grouping great. Finally decided to just raise the rest and see what would happen. Now my arrow is NOTICABLY nock low and you can see it "pointing up" towards the top cam.

BUT now my broadheads and field tips will pile up IN THE SAME HOLE out to 60 yards. I rechecked everything, timing, tiller, creep, bareshaft. PERFECT.

I finally figured out that my rest wasn't supporting the arrow on the forward motion and was dipping down on the launch dropping below level. to compensate for that I had to move the rest up so as the foward motion of the launch depressed my rest by the time my arrow left my bow it was level.
I dont attribute this to nock travel so much as it is the particular rest design that I am using. Any forward motion (not downward) would move the rest down causing the arrow to drop.

so long story short....if you're not getting contact, your broadheads fly well, your field tips fly well, getting good groups....listen to you bow, it will tell you what it needs to do so long as you are doing the same thing every time.

· *Chick Repellent*
21,419 Posts
If you can post some pics of your setup I'm really interested in what is going on here. I'm kinda starting to think you are getting some fletching contact is the only thing I can think of at this point. Especially if you got your tiller and timing worked out. You using vanes or feathers on your arrows and what length of fletching?? Straight fletch, helical or offset??

And I agree with Frogman...how high of a tear are you talking about here?? Also try moving your nocking point up anyways and see what happens. Maybe right now with your nocking point down low THAT is what is causing contact and bumping the arrow up. Move your nocking point up a bit and shoot through paper...move it up again and shoot through paper...move it up again and shoot through paper. Let us know if it gets better, or makes the high tear worse.

I've never been a big fan of a bullet hole. I've always preferred a slight nock high tear in the days I paper tuned. It gave the arrow some "direction" off the arrow rest, and like Frogman said it helps prevent the arrow from "riding the rails" on the rest during the shot. But, your situation is a bit different since your arrow is sitting nock low which is opposite of how it should be sitting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.