Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put some new strings on it a while back and was checking it today for stretch and lean problems. My ata is 31 3/16". Specs say it should be 31". Is that acceptable or should I have it adjusted? If I had a press, I would just go ahead and do it but I don't. So anything that requires a press means a trip to the shop for me.:angry3:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt

·
Registered
912 Posts
You are gonna need a press. 3/16" is not terrible and "close enough" for most guys. However, a couple of twist in the lower end of the buss cable would bring that right to spec. I'd take a look at the cam orientation and see where it is. If it is good, I'd forget the slightly long ATA and let it be. If the cam needs to be advanced a bit then you could fix 2 problems with just a few twist and be closer to specs on both issues. Hope that helps you some.

·
Registered
50,332 Posts
What's the brace? What's the max poundage after the change? Also there are timing holes on the cam are they straight with the string? There is way more to it, or other things to check other than axle to axle. Remember axle to axle and brace height are approximate measurements at best with any bow and do not have to be exact. 3/16 isn't much to be concerned about. How does it shoot? Are you having a problem? If not do not try and fix what ain't broke. People tend to get too carried away with specs instead of shooting. You can actually out think yourself and create problems that didn't exist.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for the tips. Turns out not only a2a off but also cam out of time and leaning. I need to get a press bad.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Are the limb bolts tightened all the way? You should take all measurments with the the bow maxed out. Tighten limb bolts all the way and then back off 1/4 of a turn and check everything, ATA, brace, cam timing, lean, etc....

You can get a bowmaster fairly cheap. It will get you thru until you want a full size press.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep..tightened all the way. The only measurement that was within specs was the brace height. The funny thing is...the bow seemed to be shooting good. Shot nice groups with fieldpoints. I didn't even realize anything was off til I was trying to tune my broadheads in a couple days ago. Consitently hitting left of my fieldtips and got worse at longer distance.
I was thinking about getting the bowmaster but wasn't sure it would work on my bow. I'm absolutely dying to get into doing my own tuning and maintenance. Money is tight right now though so that will have to wait. I've also got an idea to rig up a "makeshift" press similar to a bowmaster using a ratchet strap. Anyone on here done this?

·
Registered
50,332 Posts
First off I do not like using portable presses to do tune work on ANY bow. They were designed for QUICK field fixes. Nothing in my book replaces a proper press for the job.
Now to my opinion-----if your bow is shooting the way you want why in the world would you jack a perfectly good shooting bow around just because of a broadhead flight???? What do you shoot mostly broadheads or field points? Move your sight to the broadhead rather than jacking a good shooting, tuned bow around. That 3/16 axle to axle is not going to correct it. Besides if your bow was that far out of tune you would have terrible field point flight also.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First off I do not like using portable presses to do tune work on ANY bow. They were designed for QUICK field fixes. Nothing in my book replaces a proper press for the job.
Now to my opinion-----if your bow is shooting the way you want why in the world would you jack a perfectly good shooting bow around just because of a broadhead flight???? What do you shoot mostly broadheads or field points? Move your sight to the broadhead rather than jacking a good shooting, tuned bow around. That 3/16 axle to axle is not going to correct it. Besides if your bow was that far out of tune you would have terrible field point flight also.
Good point Dale...I do shoot at targets most of the time. But I also hunt and I don't feel comfortable pulling back on an animal knowing that my broadhead flight is iffy at best. On the other hand, like you said, I would hate to mess something up trying to tune it. Also, I don't know of anyone around here that I would trust to do this kind of work on my bow. The closest shop around is one of those "pro" shop/pawn shop deals. I just don't know where to go from here. I would do like you suggested and move the sights but even then my broadheads don't group well like it is. I know I stated earlier that I was getting nice groups with fieldtips but I was using the word "nice" loosely. I definitely wasn't busting any nocks..lol

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is closer to straight at full draw than it is when let down. Is that normal?

·
Live Life To The Fullest
5,533 Posts
So your shooting to the left when you shoot 20 yards and then you go to 30 yards it goes to the left more. If so you need to adjust your rest a touch. Moving your sight will fix the broadhead flight but when you shoot field points they will be shooting to the right. I would adjust your rest and yes you want it striaght at full draw on your cam lean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts