Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm far from an expert tuner, and I'm looking for some advice getting rid of a nock low bareshaft. I have a Hoyt Rx-1 Turbo @70.8 lbs with the limb bolts all the way in. 29.5 inch draw. Arrows are Gold Tip kinetic pierce platinum .300 spine @28.5 inches. 125 grain field points and 470 grain overall. Center shot is set to 7/8". Arrow is currently going straight through the berger hole. Cams are dead on. I took all of the cam lean out after failing to tune with a little in.

I've tried multiple bare shafts. I've raised and lowered both the arrow rest and nocking point. I can get bare shafts to hit the same POI with fletched at 20 yds, but there is a bad nock low (3 to 4 inches) and I have to get the nocking point raised a long ways (or rest lowered) in order to do so.

I'm fairly new to this, and I'm looking for some advice. I'm pretty confident my draw length is fine. Is there a chance this is a form issue? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
If the POI is truly the same, and the nock is merely pointing low, I'd bet it still shoots broadheads great. That said, the first thing I'd do is set the nock back to 1/8" high. Then untwist the control cable 2 times. Re-shoot. This will advance the top cam slightly.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If my rest was falling too soon (or too late for that matter), could that cause the nock low?

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
If my rest was falling too soon (or too late for that matter), could that cause the nock low?
If it was falling to late, then it would more than likely cause a tail high from the shaft bouncing off of it. It wouldn't be from it falling too early either. I don't think its rest related if you're getting decent flight now. I'd work on the cam sync and nock height.

Not that the charts would call for a different spine than what you have, but a weaker shaft would also correct a nock low to an extent. I keep multiple brands of different spines, and different point weights for examples just like this. Rarely do I run across one that really wants to act stubborn, but in cases like this, I start experimenting with different shafts and point weights. It'll find one it likes.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Kris. I think i'll try having the top cam hit slightly before the bottom and see where that gets me. I also had planned on backing the weight off to 68lbs after everything was tuned. Maybe i'll go ahead and do that now and see if that helps.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

·
Having a crappy day?
1,991 Posts
Are you shooting cock feather up? I have seen some shoot cock vane down (3 vanes) and have clearance issues.

My rig I had to turn the cock vane in about 45 degrees(from straight up, same as cock feather straight out like traditional) in order to get full vane clearance. My bareshafts weren't lying to me the vaned shafts were.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Babooze - are your cams perfectly synced? I've been yoke tuning and its taken the tail left out, but doesn't seem to have much affected on nock low.

·
Registered
474 Posts
If cam sync is good, arrows may be under spined for the bow. Try a 100 gr field point and/or lower poundage to 65 to see if there is improvement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Huh?
1,684 Posts
Babooze - are your cams perfectly synced? I've been yoke tuning and its taken the tail left out, but doesn't seem to have much affected on nock low.
As far as I know they are. Granted I havent put it on the draw board since I picked it up at the shop. BTW arrows are 27" ACC pro-hunters 390 spine

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
I would try a twist in the bottom end of the control cable. Maybe even a half twist.
That's the wrong way.

And OP, its much easier to untwist the control cable from the top cam since it doesn't wrap all the way around the cam like it does at the bottom. Do you have a draw board to look at the cam sync?

·
El Cool Arrow >>---->
9,538 Posts
What type of rest are you using? If it's a cable driven its possible that you are pulling to hard and be causing vertical travel or the rest cord is too short. Most overlooked thing I see with QAD types....

·
Registered
924 Posts
Have you checked your drawlength? If too short/long your elbow may be the culprit, which might be why nothing on the bow fixes the problem.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you checked your drawlength? If too short/long your elbow may be the culprit, which might be why nothing on the bow fixes the problem.
I think my draw length is fine, but I am starting to think it's a form issue. Putting more grip pressure on the top of my hand as opposed to the middle seems to help some. Can anybody explain why this is?

·
Registered
20,635 Posts
I think my draw length is fine, but I am starting to think it's a form issue. Putting more grip pressure on the top of my hand as opposed to the middle seems to help some. Can anybody explain why this is?
I'm assuming you've set cam sync to get the draw stops hitting at the same time, or maybe the top ahead, by using a draw board. That'll get you close but not all the way there in some cases. Your hand pressure will be different than a draw board pressure on the bow grip. You're getting better flight by pushing more with the top of your grip, I'm assuming that means higher up on the grip, than when you push lower on the grip, more with the middle of your thumb. This will change your cam sync a little. You can actually see this if you put the bow back in the draw board, hold the nock point still, like you would at anchor, and then push more on the top or bottom of the riser to imitate different grip pressures. You can watch the cam rotation change slightly when doing this.

This is often overlooked by people but can sometimes be a problem. It's overlooked because it's typically easier to tune around by playing with nock height and cam timing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts