Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shooting today getting ready for the season, when at 60+ yards I could see my arrows would kick the nock end hard right mid-flight. I'm talking 3-4 inches. Now my bow shoots pretty sweet. I always get perfect paper tears, and I can get field points, Muzzy's, Montecs, and Wasps all to hit in the same spots at every ten yard increment out to 80 yards (haven't tried past that). Was I just catching some kind of optical illusion due to the sun, target, or something else, could a bit of a crosswind cause this, or is it possible to have an arrow do that and still be perfectly broadhead tuned? Do I really need to delve into the depths of bare shaft tuning?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt...anyone?

·
Registered
330 Posts
You could of been torquing you release hand, or like you said it could of been a crosswind. It could also be your inserts have a little bit of a wobble! spin your arrows and see how they spin. If you are shooting good and your arrows are flying like your field points, I say you should be alright!

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Two issues here. Watching arrow flight as the shooter can give an optical illusion as the bow moves during the shot relative to the arrow in flight. It could also be that one of your bhs is not perfectly aligned with the shaft. Paper tune will tell the truth.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
preyquester said:
it's just your other eye picking up the arrow flight.not to worry all is well.
Yep, lots of times you see the arrow throught the "peep" eye then the "off" eye picks it up as it passes the riser in your field of view. That combined with the alternating colors of the fletching as it spins can make it look like it is fishtailing and/or porposing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
big cypress said:
afletch,my first thought also .
I agree, it is an illusion. Especially noticable at those distances. You sound like your right on track, I wouldn't touch a thing.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I call this "peeking" when instead of keeping your eye on the target you watch the arrow fly to the target. When this happens your "off eye" comes into play and creates this illusion. In my case it the arrow travels like a major league curve ball but still hits the bull. That,s how I know I was "peeking".

·
Registered
685 Posts
Ok

Well as my video camera will attest what you do catch is similar to blinking while say a wheel is turning and it is a still "frame" you are getting the split second view as it moves through the air in a "frame" and its reacting to the air currents,eddies, thermals etc.
Becasue it has a longer time to be in flight you can register it with your eye easier that say at 20 yrds.
If you got a complete slo mo view of a 60 yrd flight you would see the arrow move some till it stabilizes with the spin caused by the fletching, similar to rifling of a barrel spin stabilizes a bullet.
Kind of kewl when ya get to see the whole flight but with out a good camera with 1/30000 shutter speed its still kind of blurry slowed down.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Non- Issue

I agree with most above, you're bow tune and shooting are fine, if you want to dispell any doubts set up the paper rack at varying distances and shoot away. You should be able to prove to yourself that your arrow flight is good and max penetration can be had!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts