Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get my new bow set up and the arrows seem to fly out with a spiraling wobbell kinda tough to explain, so hope that description is good. but I thought it might be the arrows at first so shot them from my other bow and they fly fine, so i figure its gotta be a tuning issue with my new bow. Im shooting a hoyt rampage 70# with a Rip cord rest 28" DL. Any ideas?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would i check that? do i just put some wax on the arrow to see if it contacts?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Could be arrow spine, arrow contact, the rest is out of true.... too hard to diagnose on the internet. Do a search for your symptoms and go from there.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Put some baby powder on the vanes.

·
Socket Man
23,789 Posts
You really need someone to lead you through proper bow setup and paper tuning process, this will speed up your learning curve on tuning and get you started right. A good bowshop should be able to do this or go to a 3-d shoot and just ask some seasoned shooters if you could meet sometime at home and do it.

My paper tuning process:

1. Put rest centered on the shelf and centered on the berger hole.

2. Start shooting through paper and move the d-loop up and down the string until you find the sweet spot where you get the best tears, it will be 1/8 inch above level most likely. They wont be perfect and do not move the rest at all during this stage.

3. Move the rest left and right until you get good bullet holes.

4. Fine tune by shooting at many distances from 20 ft all the way to 1 ft and make sure your arrow will shoot bullet holes at each distance.

If you can get bullet holes at every distance from 1 to 20 ft your bow has really good arrow flight and then you can sight it in. I can do this with both of my bows. Place your target level with your bow basically chest high, use some wood or something that you can drive in the ground and staple some paper inbetween.

·
Huh?
1,684 Posts
How would i check that? do i just put some wax on the arrow to see if it contacts?
Try some lipstick on the edge of your vanes. Shoot and if there is lipstick on the rest, cables or riser thats where the contact is coming from. As for your rest, make sure its coming to the full up postion in the last 1.5'-2" of your draw.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts