Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question about tuning a bow. first off i have a low left tear i can not get rid of. will tell you more later! but heres my question, i have 3 magazines in front off me and a print out from easton .com. 2 mags tell me to get rid of the left tear i need to move the rest to the left, the other 3 tell me to move it to the right! sooo my question is who is right! hows that saying go! ask ten people ten questions and get ten diff. answers! lol!

·
ArcheryLessonsOnline.com
2,013 Posts
low left tear

What type of bow? Single cam or double cam?

Please elaborate on your setup.

Typically a left or right tear that is significant is a lead that you may not have the correct arrow for your setup. Hand torque may also have an effect. I have never seen much of a result from moving the arrow rest in either direction unless the tune is within a reasonable tolerance. Fletching clearance may also be an issue.

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
Move it one way if it gets worse go the other way. It's just trial and error.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i forgot this! at about 10yards that tear exists! but back up to 20 and guess what! its gone! when i shoot i can see the arrow tall low to the left and all of a sudden you can see it sraghten out!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tuning

ok! it is a fred bear trx. 65pnds, tm hunter rest, 2413 eastons 30 inchs long! true fire release,

·
Registered
807 Posts
Sounds like your arrow is a little underspined, to begin with,...(unless you're using a very light point weight, like 85gr or less).

First of all, make sure...(by using powder on the rest area), that you don't have a fletching clearance problem.

Next, sounds like your nock point is a little too low,...(weak spined arrow will flip up or down, as well as bend around too much right and/or left upon release). Try raising the nock in small increments of no more than 1/8" at a time to see if this helps.

Move your rest out a smidgen, (while shooting at about 5-9ft from the paper) and finally,...

You could try,...(and I'm guessing ya don't want to)...reducing your poundage by five(5) lbs. to bring it closer to matching the 30" 2413...(I'm further guessing that you're using a 100gr. point to match what you intend to hunt with).

Just my .02 cents worth...

bowtinkerer :cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tuning

thanks for the info! would you rec. trying a lighter head, and if that doesnt work what arrow would you rec?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tuning

also what kindda powder, and can you rec. a arrow that i can shoot up to 70 pounds!

·
Banned
4,304 Posts
A bad tear at 10 yds indicates you're pretty far off tune or, torquing the bow. The 2413s are OK by the chart. These charts are only a guide to start, you may need to experiment with different arrows. How do the arrows group at 30-40 yds? Spray foot powder works fine. Sorry, I don't shoot aluminum so, can't help there. I had a TRX awhile back and shot it better with the grip removed. I wrapped the riser with mole skin.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tuning

thats just it the bow shoots great! i can put a arrow anywhere i wat it, within say a 1 inch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tuning

ok! did the foot powder test lastnight. no matter what i tried i can not get the flecht to stop hittng the rest

·
Registered
455 Posts
That's why drop-aways are so popular

you may want to consider it, or smaller fletching, or less helical/offset.

Jim G,

·
Banned
4,304 Posts
Is the tension on the rest adjustable? If so increase it. Where is your nock point in relation to square? You may also be able to lower the rest, then extend the prongs out to compensate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
tuning

ok! dont laugh! but i think i , well a friend i work with figured it out!the silencing tubes on my rest prongs were to thick! how you ask, well i put 2 layers on it last week and never thought anything about it. we stripped it off here at work and raised the prongs a little. then we shot it at a box, while watching the arrow fly and it looked nice and straight. ill go home and see how it looks threw paper!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts