Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a few dumb questions....

1. I am trying to measure ATA....where exactly do I measure? I know that sounds stupid, but do you measure from the outside of both axles or the inside of the axles.....little things like that make a difference when your measuring down to 1/16".

2. Assuming the ATA is off spec and my strings have stretched a little....should I twist the string and the cable or just one or the other?

3. When I'm twisting either the string or the cable should i take the string off and twist it more evenly or is it ok to just take it off the post and twist if a few times then put it back on? I guess I'm asking if i need to worry about the twist being even across the string/cable or will the tension take care of that for me?

Thanks for your help guys. I'm trying to work on my own bow and am doing all this kind of stuff for the first time. I just don't want to screw it up for fear of asking a few questions.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Measure from center to center on the axles. I would first twist the string to get in back in spec. You don't have to remove it from the bow, just take the end of the string loose from the cam and twist it. Since the string starts at the cam and goes around the idler wheel and returns back to the cam, you don't need to twist both halfs. Just twist the half that you shoot from. Once you get the bow back in spec by twisting the string, check the poundage. If the poundage is low, you will need to twist the cable and recheck the draw length and spec. Since the string is long, it may require several twist to get in back to spec but since the cable is short, it won't take as many twist to get the poundage back.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Since the string starts at the cam and goes around the idler wheel and returns back to the cam, you don't need to twist both halfs. back.

I disagree with this comment. When twisting the string you need to put equal twist on both ends of the string. If you do not do this your string will become unbalanced and you will have continuous peep rotation probloms in the future.

Axle to axle is measue from center axle to center axle on one side of the bow. I believe it to be on the side with the cable guard( I would have to double check to be sure.) On a single cam bow your axle to axle measurement may be different on each side becuase of the added pressure from the cable slide. After you are back in spec on your axle to axle, I draw the bow back and look up the string to ensure the string is tracking straing on the idler. If it is not, I twist on side of the yoke to get it to track properly.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
I disagree with this comment. When twisting the string you need to put equal twist on both ends of the string. If you do not do this your string will become unbalanced and you will have continuous peep rotation probloms in the future.

Axle to axle is measue from center axle to center axle on one side of the bow. I believe it to be on the side with the cable guard( I would have to double check to be sure.) On a single cam bow your axle to axle measurement may be different on each side becuase of the added pressure from the cable slide. After you are back in spec on your axle to axle, I draw the bow back and look up the string to ensure the string is tracking straing on the idler. If it is not, I twist on side of the yoke to get it to track properly.
You may disagree but it isn't neccessary.

If it is the factory string, it may have stretched out and I would reccommend buying a new one from a good string maker. Mathews strings are not the best.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a 2008 Diamond Liberty....with the factory string on it. I twisted the string and cable last night. Got the bow back into spec. I don't have a scale to measure the poundage but it does feel a little stiffer. Now I've to do something with my peep. I'm planning on just taking it out and reinstalling a larger one anyway. Biggest peep i can get over here is a Fletcher 1/8". When these guys set it up they put a 1/32 on there because that's "normal".

Thanks for the help guys. I really helps to get a little direction before I just start messin with stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts