Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Switchback XT and I can't get an arrow to fly straight to save my life. It is a 28" draw length set @ 68lbs shooting a 27 1/2" lg maxima 350 with 125 gr points. I am using a QAD pro rest. I have tried my Trophy Taker rest swithed to 100 grain points and several other varibles, nothing is working. It still tears paper to the left.My set up is the same as I shot out my Allegiance, and I had no problems. Starting to question myself. Any suggestions?????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I have a regular switchback and had to adjust the rest further to the left than I thought I should to get rid of the left tear. Try moving the rest further, just a thought.:smile:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Set center shot at 13/16 from the riser to arrow. This will look like the arrow is angled to the left at rest. This is due to the effect of the roller guard flexing the limbs. This will put the arrow in line with the power stroke. A laser center shot will show this to be way off but it is correct for a Mathews.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Anytime I have had a tear that wouldn't change by adjusting the rest, it was always fletching contact. Just a thought.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank's for the input. I have had my nock point at 90 and up to 3/16" above center , center shot is at 13/16" from riser to center of arrow. Arrow chart shows correct spine but may see if my son in law has weaker spined arrows and also look for fletching contact. Thanks again, Kent

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Yoke tune it and set nock point appr 1/8 high, most single cams tend to run a 1/8 high nock, tour center shot should fall in around 11/16 to 5/8 if you are using a dropaway.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I tune alot of mathews bows and have never had one exceed 1/8" high nock point, most swithch back bows i've tuned require a level nock point to tear a perfect hole through paper. A high nock point will sometimes give the impression that your center shot is off even if it is'nt, so get your height right first then go with left and right.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Thank's for the input. I have had my nock point at 90 and up to 3/16" above center , center shot is at 13/16" from riser to center of arrow. Arrow chart shows correct spine but may see if my son in law has weaker spined arrows and also look for fletching contact. Thanks again, Kent
I always rub a little lipstick on the edge of my vanes if they hit you will see where. Look at the idler lean. And maybe torque on the grip not saying you are but just a thought. I would shoot a bare shaft and see how it flys. just a couple thoughts .

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I tune alot of mathews bows and have never had one exceed 1/8" high nock point, most swithch back bows i've tuned require a level nock point to tear a perfect hole through paper. A high nock point will sometimes give the impression that your center shot is off even if it is'nt, so get your height right first then go with left and right.
all my mathews tuned in appr 1/8 high, bh and fp hit the same out to 80, didnt have to walkback tune it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definetly will try these things. It still groups good, just not flying straight YET.

·
Registered
26 Posts
axle to axle?

check ata(both sides). I've spent alot of time trying to tune friends bow {pse). No matter how far {in both directions} i moved rest i got huge tear. Measured ata ,was aprox 3/16 difference. Twisted cable to correct and had bare shaft bullits in 15 minutes. Check it out!

·
The Foam Collector
2,334 Posts
Are you getting marks on your rest? What about marks on your fletching?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shooting Darts

Spent some time at the archery shop today, got it shooting straight now.Thanks for all the input it helped a bunch. Great to be a part of something like AT where fellow archers help each other out. Thank again, Kent:shade:

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Here's my 2 cent's worth:mg:

First check all the specs, cam timing, ATA, idler lean, etc...

Sounds like your idler is off, when the bow is not being drawn you want the idler to look like this "\" but when you are at full draw you want the string to track straight off the idler, so it looks like this "|"

With your arrow use the 100 grian tip's, set your nock at level of just a nose hair heavy, set the rest at 11/16" and walk back tune for your centershot, and then see how it group's

Almost forgot "Stop shooting threw paper"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went to the 100 grain tips and did the things you suggested and it groups great. Shot out to 50 yards, and was very pleased with the results.

·
Registered
88 Posts
not that it really matters since you have seemed to have fixed the problem but my cousin had the same thing happen with his switchback. we tried everything bow grouped great but just would not papertune. come to find out and this is something you might want to have looked at was that the bushing in the came had broken somehow. this was a brand new bow and still is a mystery as to how it happened.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts