Archery Talk Forum banner

Tuning Vulcan, help please...

485 5
Hi! I am shooting a LH Hoyt Vulcan(which I purchased as a leftover this past Summer), HHA Brushfire sight, NAP Quicktune 3000, Stealth stabilizer, Scott Lil'Bitty Goose release, Beman ICS Hunter 400(26.25" long, 100 gr. point), at approximately 64 lbs. I have been shooting most of my life, and have tuned many bows with fixed heads. The past few years I've shot mechanicals including Snypers, Spitfires and most recently Steelheads 100). I've been shooting over the Summer and have been impressed with the Vulcan.. even shot a robinhood a few weeks back. Anyway, a few weeks ago I decided to shoot a few Steelheads to make sure I was all set to bowhunt, and to my dismay, after a tight field point group, my 2 steelheads steered left up to 6 inches!! So, not big deal, I'll adjust my rest to the right to "tune" these groups in together, but after hours of micro-tuning my horizontal adjustment, those darn steelheads pull left no matter what. I feel like I'm trying to tune in a huge fixed head broadhead!lol The only thing left to try is to lower my rest a bit, as I set up my nocking point 90 degrees off the string. Could the nocking point being a little low cause that left pull?? Also, the tuning charts will say that I might be overspined, but I just don't believe that these Beman 400s are overspined. So, I'm looking for any suggestions, as I am getting ready to throw this Vulcan on Ebay and pull out my Parker Ultra-Lite 31 which still shoots like a dream. Thank you in advance for any ideas!!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
431 Posts
I don't have any specific ideas as to why your mechanical BHs are not grouping with your FPs, especially when you tried to micro-adjust the rest. This is what I would try next.

I would check to see how bare shafts group. Do they group with the BHs, with the FPs or by them selves? This will give you more info on the dynamics of your arrow flight.

You said you were at 64lbs and your arrows just might be over spine. If your bow is a 60-70lb range, crank up the weight and see what effect it has. (I shoot an arrow that could be over spine but I have no flight issues).

You said you have tight FP groups, but has the bow been walk back tuned?

This is where I would go with it.

· Registered
34,432 Posts
You may be a hair under spine....but I doubt very seriously with that short of an arrow. ....I have shot 3-39s which are a 440 spine at 65+ lbs with an arrow that long from those bows. But you could take a turn off the limbs and see what happens.

What size vanes are you shooting? That could be it....Could also be a little torque...broadheads will magnify everything.....be it a little fixed blade or a mech head.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.