Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have never paper tuned my bow . i have walk back tuned it but thats about all now i have put a new string and cable on it im thinking about paper tuning, walk back tuning, and broadhead tuning! is it that important to do all these ?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I don't think so. I bare shaft/walk back tune then jump right to broadhead tune. When I get bare shaft, field point and broadhead hitting together back to 40yrds I'm happy. I never paper tune.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
I shoot through paper first, because its the easiest thing to do. My paper tuner is inside, so I at least shoot through there to see if my initial setup is close. Then I go to bareshaft, and then shoot a broadhead. Hardly ever do I have to adjust anything if my bareshafts shoot with fletched at 20 yards.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
I just skip the paper tuning and start with bare shaft tuning with field points.
The bare shaft will tell you much faster and correctly what is going on than using paper.
Small faults in the tune is not easy at all to see when you check vaned arrows trough paper, but with bare shafts, you will see it at once.
If you bare shaft tune, make sure not to start to far away from your target :)

·
Registered
8,342 Posts
If you haven't tuned a whole lot, paper tuning is a good start point, fletched or bare, like mentioned before it gets your initial setup close then fine tuning is much easier

Coming soon... Sethro's Custom Paints

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
And its also to be noted, if you're gonna bareshaft tune, you better be a good shot, and have excellent form. If you get inconsistent results with a bareshaft, then it'll more than likely be you. Good luck.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Paper tuning is great but u dont want to go crazy with the bullet hole I have learned this the hard way some bows are just not gonna give u that perfect hole and it all depends type of cams etc etc.. Bare shaft tuning too like was said form has to be on every time and also no matter how tuned a bow is if your form is bad your not getting a bullet.. Start cl ose if u can get a bllet hole at 6-8 feet and then again at about 10yds your bow is shooting good then u can try walk back tuning french tuning whateever u want... But you want very close if not a bullet hole if u can.. Good luck

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
first i make sure my bow is "in spec". it usually shoots bullet holes thru paper when in spec. then i do something that i think is often overlooked. i tune my arrows. then i make sure the broadheads are true with a quick spin test.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts