Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am setting up a martin phantom for my dad and i have a question or two. i am shooting a whisker bisquit and i have my knock point slightly above level with the rest. tip of the arrow is slightly down when string is down, but when at full draw, it looks to be level. my question is this. shot it last night, at 10 yards just to get a feel for it and try to sight my first pin. i am getting good accuracy, but maybe 1 of 5 arrows will do something funny with the flight. sorta fishtails, but it is more of a circular motion on the back of the arrow. i have not paper tuned the bow, but it looked like the rest are shooting straight. just every now and then it will throw me a curve ball(err arrow). any suggestions on what this might be or how i can change it?

·
Registered
8,383 Posts
Number your arrows so you can see if it's the same one twirling everytime. It just might need a little nock-turn. Paper tune to get it close.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Paper tuning will show you if the arrow is truely fishtailing or porposing. Once the arrow gets a few yards out of the bow as long as the FOC is not super low the arrow will stabilize and remain so because the fletching drag will keep it straight. If the FOC is too low the nock end of the arrow will occilate more as the center of gravity is not "pulling" the nockend to a large enough degree. To put it in perspective if you were to have a negative FOC the nock end of the arrow would eventually spin around and lead instead of the point.

Setup and Tuning

1 - 3 of 3 Posts