Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanted to let everyone know that it they need help with tuning their bows they can send me a pm message. i have been a bow tech for 5 years and have a lot of knowledge to share mostly about mathews.

· Registered
94 Posts
I have a drenalin the cam is rotated towards the string to get it back would i twist both ends of the string equal amounts or just one end to pull it back where it needs to be.Thanks

ATA and BH are ok

· Registered
939 Posts
I have a drenalin the cam is rotated towards the string to get it back would i twist both ends of the string equal amounts or just one end to pull it back where it needs to be.Thanks

ATA and BH are ok
You always want to twist both ends of the string equally to keep the twists balanced and peep rotation consistent (on a single cam).

This might help - just a little chart I made up recently to help answer similar questions :cheers:

Click the pic for a larger version

View attachment 535563

For images of proper cam timing see http://forums.mathewsinc.com/viewtopic.php?t=40837
For ATA, BH and string/cable lengths see
http://forums.mathewsinc.com/viewtopic.php?t=40940

· Registered
496 Posts
This is just my opinion but if you're good with Matthews maybe you could write up a guide and put it as a sticky at the top of the "bow tuning" thread. Just a thought as we have binary and Hoyt's cam and a half up there. What do you think.

· Registered
94 Posts
You always want to twist both ends of the string equally to keep the twists balanced and peep rotation consistent (on a single cam).

This might help - just a little chart I made up recently to help answer similar questions :cheers:

Click the pic for a larger version

View attachment 535563

For images of proper cam timing see http://forums.mathewsinc.com/viewtopic.php?t=40837
For ATA, BH and string/cable lengths see
http://forums.mathewsinc.com/viewtopic.php?t=40940
Thanks,can't wait for my press to get here im getting tired of running to the bow shop all the time for something i could do myself with a little help from archery talk:smile:

Yea i agree that chart should be made a sticky!!!

· Registered
94 Posts
Sorry another newbie ?

I've read that you take ata,bh and cam measurements at max #'s

Do i have to loosen the limbs 5 turns before pressing and change settings or can i press it just enough to make the changes at max #'s so i don't have to loosen and tighten the limb bolts after every change to check measurements

Thanks again!!

· Registered
14,546 Posts

ATA and BH are ok
buss for the cam timing, but there both involved so you may have to tweak string a bit too. measure ATA and when cam timing lines up and ATA is there dont worry about BH to be exact, but it will be close

· Registered
939 Posts
Sorry another newbie ?

I've read that you take ata,bh and cam measurements at max #'s

Do i have to loosen the limbs 5 turns before pressing and change settings or can i press it just enough to make the changes at max #'s so i don't have to loosen and tighten the limb bolts after every change to check measurements

Thanks again!!
Mathews recommends turning the bolts out 5 from max anytime you press the bow, regardless of what you'll be doing. In fact, you technically void your warranty if you do otherwise. Now, some don't take the extra time to do that and I have to admit it is probably not completely necessary if you're using a good press (e.g. X-Press) and know what you're doing to keep it from being pressed more than you have to. That said, I'm the type to err on the side of caution and even as much as I've worked with Mathews, I still turn them out 5 everytime. In clear conscience, I could not recommend you do otherwise. The potential downside is IMO more than worth the extra time to turn out the bolts.

With regards to the specific quesiton of your cam timing, you are over-rotated if your timing holes point toward the bowstring. As you can also see on the chart, you can correct that 1 of 2 ways (or a combination of both) - you can either twist up the string (remember both ends) or untwist the cable. Deciding which of those to do will depend on where your other specs are. If your ATA/BH are good, then you're cam timing shouldn't be far off. An important thing to understand is that specs all work together. Getting the string and cable twists properly adjusted for cam timing should also put you (in theory) very close with regard to ATA.

If you twist up your string to correct the timing, you are going to reduce ATA, and untwisting the cable will increase ATA. So I would suggest you take a careful measurement of your ATA and, based on whether you are over or under 33", decide on untwisting the cable or twisting the string. The relative change in cam timing will be approximately equal between removing 1 twist in the cable, or adding 1 twist to each end of the string.

One last thing - which may make a real difference here - is which side of the bow are you measuring ATA? Because of idler lean (due to the pull of the roller guard), ATA will be slightly different on the 2 sides of the axle. The ATA measurement to use is on the shelf side (the side where the arrow lays over the arrow rest). The other side (the side where a quiver would attach) will generally have a shorter ATA when idler lean is properly adjusted.

Hopefully that made sense, but if it sounds confusing don't sweat it. After you've gone through the process a few times, all this will make perfect sense and you won't need to refer to the above chart. Its all a matter of understanding how on spec relates to / effects the others. You'll learn that best by experience. Finally, I would recommend keeping a written track of what adjustments you make along the way. It can be a bit confusing your first time and its always nice to have things written down so that you can backtrack your steps to a previous setting. Good luck! :thumb:

· Registered
2,542 Posts
On the pics with the Cam rotations, is the Pic for the S2 like the Switchback? i noticed that the S2 is not there.

· Registered
939 Posts
hey buck, I get an error trying to look at your chart attachment. can you send it to me. [email protected]
I had to remove it from this thread to post it elsewhere. But its back now :thumb:

Click the pic for larger version

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.