Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never taken a Turkey with Archery tackle,but I have Harvested them a couple times over the years with a Shotgun.I am now very much interested in going after them with a bow this year!:wink:

Anyways,I was just reviewing the VA Regs and according to how I understood the Regs,there is no Spring Turkey season anywhere in VA?Is this the case?

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
7,286 Posts
Unless something changed since I hunted VA in spring of 2006, there is a spring turkey season!

Of course, I have not hunted there since, but, I would find it highly unlikely that they didn't have a spring season! :set1_thinking:

Edit: Here is a link to the Spring Turkey season regulations, seasons, and bag limits.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/turkey.asp#springgobbler

Enjoy! :)

I have never taken a Turkey with Archery tackle,but I have Harvested them a couple times over the years with a Shotgun.I am now very much interested in going after them with a bow this year!:wink:

Anyways,I was just reviewing the VA Regs and according to how I understood the regs,there is no Spring Turkey season anywhere in VA?Is this the case?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks a million Campo,I appreciate the input! You're a good guy,I don't care what they say about ya! :wink::confused:

Sweetttt!!! I just went & checked the Regs again & Now it is much more clear.It's settled then,I'm gonna go try my hand at Archery Turkey then next month.Now for the big question guys! Where would be a good place to go hunt them within say a 30-40 mile radius of where I'm located-Winchester,VA( Clarke County)??

We just moved here last December and I have not seen any sign,etc of Turkey on our 220 farm here.The previous farm owner did say that they saw lots of them up until last season & only saw a few here and there last year.I know they gotta be close by cause I keep seeing 3-4 toms every day on the farm up the road from us.I see atleast 3 there everyday in that same spot around 3-30pm when I go pick up the kids from school

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Amazing.No fellow hunters know where to go Spring Gobbler hunting in VA?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Man, I just moved here too. I live in Star Tannery in Frederick Co. and we have quite a few. I work as a chef in Clarke Co. and have never seen a turkey yet. Tons of deer though. Look at Frederick or Shenandoah Co. Also look at the Turkey kills in the back of the Fish and Game book it may help in your selection of where to look. If you have them that close they should be easy to find. Is there a water source of food that is keeping them off your property?? It may change in a few weeks too so keep watching and do some knocking on doors to the neighbors in case they stay put down the road.

Scott

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Scott

Welcome to the area too my friend! My fiance & I are city slickers gradually transforming into ******** now! but Mannnn am I loving the country life now! I never was a big city boy to start with!

Thanks alot for the input.I'm gonna go over on Saturday & talk to a a customer of mine(an old timer that has lived here forever)He knows all about the Turkey & where they are he said.I just talked to him on the phone today!You aren't kidding about all the Deer here.On our 220 acre farm alone we see atleast 20 every day.I make my rounds of the farm normally in the early evening hours:wink:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Get a 40# bag of deer corn and set up a game camera on the back corner of your field and you will find out if the turkeys are there.
We did this on our lease and found out we had lots of birds.
I am sure there are turkeys in your area. I hunt in Bath county which is south of you and there are plenty of turkeys there.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts