Archery Talk Forum banner

Turkey Broadheads?

3547 24
Okay fella's I need some suggestions for broadheads for turkeys..... They will be shot from a low poundage low KE bow.... i don't have much experience bow hunting turkeys but my better half just decided she wants to try turkey hunting this spring... She has never hunted anything before so I'm just as excited as she is....thanks for the help!!!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2,265 Posts
Shoot them in the head with Magnus Bullheads. They work extremely well with low KE set ups. The head/neck area offers a larger kill zone than the heart/lung cavity on a turkey as well ... and it is a clearer defined and easier to aim at target. I can show you video of an 11 year old girl killing turkeys with a Bullhead out of a 30# draw weight bow.

If you have any questions ... just ask.:shade:

· Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shoot them in the head with Magnus Bullheads. They work extremely well with low KE set ups. The head/neck area offers a larger kill zone than the heart/lung cavity on a turkey as well ... and it is a clearer defined and easier to aim at target. I can show you video of an 11 year old girl killing turkeys with a Bullhead out of a 30# draw weight bow.

If you have any questions ... just ask.:shade:
Sweet I would like to see that..... She is shooting 32lbs as of now

· I Bleed Orange
1,352 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but I figured you guys would be in the know, when are the newer Magnus Rack Packs coming out?

· Registered
2,265 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but I figured you guys would be in the know, when are the newer Magnus Rack Packs coming out?
Mike can give you a better update, but there are some minor tweaks being made to improve a couple things. Sadly these won't make it for the 2011 turkey seasons. There are a handful of Gander Mountains that have the old ones in stock for a heck of a price, as I understand it. If you PM Mike, he will give you a run down on which Ganders had Rackpacks as of a couple weeks ago.

· Registered
26 Posts
im thinkin of tryin for a turkey or two with my bow also this year. (have only hunted them two years with gun and never bowhunted anything besides deer with a crossbow). one thing iv wondered about goin for a head neck shot is how do u get them to hold still enuf to shoot?? evrytime iv had turkeys close their heads are always bobing around constantly...

· Registered
1,586 Posts
its actually pretty easy. i wait until gobbler is close or on decoy and if you are patient you will get a shot at what is a large target.take a look at this video and you will see what i am talking about. thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
5:09 seems unethical a little bit? Or were there two shooters? Im not bashing im just wondering, did they both die or what?

· Registered
2,265 Posts
5:09 seems unethical a little bit? Or were there two shooters? Im not bashing im just wondering, did they both die or what?
Two birds in one shot. There are a couple video clips that show it being done with Bullheads. Whether it was intended or not by the shooter, is a question for that shooter. All were done under legal tag conditions where multiple birds are allowed in a day. Shotgun hunters have done this for years when multiple tags can be used on the same day. IMO, nothing wrong with it with a bow, if the shooter can pull it off.

· Registered
8,159 Posts
Sweet I would like to see that..... She is shooting 32lbs as of now
Personally I think 32 lbs is a little light in draw weight to be hunting with, in a lot of states it is not legal to hunt with less than a 40 lb draw weight bow.
Turkeys (especially wild ones) are a tougher animal to kill than what some give them credit for. No matter what poundage you are shooting please make sure that it is a razor sharp broadhead that you are shooting at the turkey.

· Registered
2,259 Posts
mainguide. thanks but actually i would be very confident with shooting a bird to 30 yds,. further than 30 yds on a turkey is taking a chance with any broadhead. a chance i personally wont take, totally up to the indivual bowhunter. take a look with mark rofhling.
yes both birds were dead. and keep in mind where mark is hunting in south dakota he has alot of tags. thanks

· Aim Small, Miss Small
5,622 Posts
batman no offense but that isnt true. if you use one of our bullhead arrows which are correctly spined for your bow weight you will not have any issues with tuning. lifetime guarantee replacement
Hey mike-

What is all covered under the replacement warranty? Obvious the ferrule, but what about the blades?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.