Archery Talk Forum banner

Turkey calling advise

682 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  cptleo1
This will be my first year turkey hunting. I think I am going to use the Knight and Hale Wet Willie box call. What is your routine/ sequence for calling, say right at first light when the gobs are still roosted? I also plan on using the Pretty Boy/Girl decoy combo. How do you locate gobs after they are out of their roost? If you have any tips I would really apreciate it.
Thanks,
Jason
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
938 Posts
Here is what i do. about a week before season opens i go out and start shouting to see what kind of birds i have i my area. then the night before opening morn. i go out with a owl call to find where their are for the next morn. once i located them that morn. i go out about a hour before lite and set up. i put my decoys about 20-25 yards away from me with the jake decoy closest to me and the hen behind it. that way when the bird comes in they will go to the jake first to run him off. when he does that it puts him about 18-20 yards from you. after you set up and the birds start to wake up do a little of soft calls once the gobbler answers stop callin then once that you know that their on the ground then do some aggresive calls but don't over call. but the #1 thing is patience. there is also a good vid that you might want to check out "so you want to be a turkey hunter" by h.s. if you need any more info let me know. good luck huntin'

· Registered
13 Posts
There is a lot of good information out there so do some research and learn about the birds. Scouting turkeys is key because for the most part they do the same thing everyday (don't hold me to that because they won't do it when you want them to). If your calling is not the greatest go to where the turkeys are going to be, ecsepcially if you plan on using the decoys. While in the roost and when they fly down locating a turkey can be done by trying to get them to shock gobble with a crow, owl, coyote howler, etc. It's a learning process, they'll teach you something new everytime you go out in the woods. Check out the NWTF website, it is one of the best places to learn about turkeys.

· Registered
2,351 Posts
Old school advise

Less calling is better

Especially when you are just getting

Especially later in the season

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.