Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I only have a hen decoy. What setups do you guys use to bring in that old tom? What kind (gender/age NOT brand) of decoys should I be adding to my hen?

·
Registered
66 Posts
leave the hen at home in the early season and put out a full-strut tom. Get ready because they'll come running in to beat it up!!!

·
stay calm pick a spot
3,110 Posts
yup i only own a b mobile tom and a jake decoy wow does it ever work

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wouldn't the frustration of the incoming gobbler be increased by having my hen with the strutting tom decoy?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
dekes

I use a strutting tom and a hen, 7 yds from and both facing the blind I could not believe how well it works ..... I drew on both toms I arrowed when their eyes were behind the dekes fan but I probably could have drawn anytime. I had them come into this set up early in the season and late..... have fun .... john

·
Registered
242 Posts
2 hens and 1 jake. I place them about 20 yards in front of the blind...and I kill about 20 yards in front of the blind!!!!!!!!!! :wink: We (my Bro and I) have killed 12 turkeys in 8 years and all of them have been from a blind with this decoy set-up. We have NEVER had a Tom that saw the decoys not fully commit to coming in!!!!! We do hunt our own land and hunt on foodplots.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Sometimes a strutter can be a slam dunk. Always a jake (Dave Smith Decoys of course) with some hens will work. This is for the Spring. I arrowed my Toms this fall using hens by themselves in an area where the Toms were feeding, and they came in to push the ladies off. I have a Primos B-Mobil with real fans and custom headpaint if someone is interested in it.
Also the biggest thing is keep the darn TV shows out of your head. Run and gun works but on most properties most of us hunt (less then 500 acres) running and gunning with the sparse cover of the early season causes more harm then good. I hunt a 400 acre farm that has groups of guys every week of the Spring here in Illinois (gun guys who blast outta range, and call and move and call and move like on the videos) I love it because it really adds a challenge. I set up in an area where I know these Toms will be after the hens go to lay and let them come in; many Spring birds have been arrowed between 12 and 12:30 w/o hearing a single gobble all day. It is hard, especially when you are sitting all those hours and you hear all the shooting but I preach to pick a spot and stay in the blind until 1 (when we have to stop in IL) 3 tags and 3 birds every Spring
Good luck

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Also I would like to elaborate on my Dave Smith Decoy comment. It is possible to decoy turkeys with any decoy out there, but since I got them this past Spring, and we as a group arrowed 19 turkeys with them and had dozens of other birds interact with them I am just so sold on them. We also have countless hours of awesome footage of the interactions these decoys can cause.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts