Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be trying the Pretty boy and girl decoy's this year with my ground blind and wanted to know some opinions on how to go about setting that up. How far to put out the decoys and where to set up my blind things of that nature. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I would setup in an open area where your decoy(s) can be seen from a long distance. I like to but my decoys close to the blind, about 10 yards and in. Put them at the distance you are the best shot at. If you can put the decoys on the opposite side from where you think the turkeys will come from. This way they will see the decoys and when they come closer the blind will get in between them and the decoys. They will think that the decoys left and will be searching for them. Make sure to set the blind up with your back to the sun if you can. You don't want the sun shinning in on you in the blind with a bird close. Good luck this turkey season and let us know if you get a thunder chicken.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would set them up about five yards infront of your blind with the Tom looking at your blind and the hen between your blind and the tom. Everyone knows that how many years have you been Turkey hunting. I hope you hunt with Hoyt and not Black Ice junk.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Set them up at the distance you feel comfortable shooting at. I prefer to set decoys about 8-10 yards, just make sure you know where your arrow hits at that distance. Facing you or at a side is your choice. If they come in (they don't always come running in, sometimes they go the other way) they will come in front of your decoys.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I keep mine somewhere between 10-15 yards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts