Archery Talk Forum banner

What decoys do you set out? (Blind Hunting Only!)

• Single Hen

Votes: 14 15.9%
  • Multiple Hens

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Hen + Tom

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • Multiple Hens + Tom

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Single Tom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hen + Jake

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • Multiple Hens + Jake

Votes: 23 26.1%
  • Single Jake

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please post)

Votes: 5 5.7%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay this is a thread for BLIND HUNTERS only, if youre going to set up and wait for birds (Lets say first 2 weeks of the season). What are you putting out! I understand those who run n gun may choose differently for portability reasons, so this is strictly for those hunting from a blind or set location! :shade:

· Beer Whisperer
12,132 Posts
I'll have out my peep-n-tom with tommy tail and at least one hen. Sometimes it's the strutter and two hens sometimes it's three it just depends on the way I feel that morning and where I am. If I'm not far from the atv and using my stuffer, it's the only hen I use but if I'm packing in a ways, I might use both my looker & feeder Zinks and maybe one of my old feather-flex's.

· Registered
13,543 Posts
I usually use a hen and a jake. Sometimes I try to mix it up a bit, but usually go back to that set up. I might also put a small string around the jake and yank it back into my blind if I think it is messing me up.

· Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ Good idea with the string if the jake is not working out!

Keep em coming guys! I know almost everyone uses decoys!

· Registered
3,062 Posts
I typically take a strutting Tom and a feeding hen (or 2). I cut the beard short on the Tom so he looks more subordinate. Sometimes I'll throw a Jake decoy in the mix or another hen. If I find out the specific bird I'm hunting doesn't like the aggressiveness of a full strut Tom I'll use the Jake with my Feeding Hen in the submissive position ready to breed and the Jake right behind her. Alot of my setups are specific to the bird I'm hunting. They all have different personalities. The old Toms are more weary and won't come in to certain calls or decoy setups so you have to get creative and think outside the box. And it's even harder getting them on film by myself. That's why I love chasing these birds so much! Good luck

· Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TTT Keep it coming guys! This could be a really helpful thread for newer turkey hunters if we get enough votes! I'm a bit surprised at the results, I expected more Toms!

· Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Based on what I've seen from other hunters, I wouldn't feel comfortable with a jake or tom decoy.
Elaborate?

TTT 2 guys voted for Other but didnt post! Keep this up top, this could be a very helpful thread!

· Registered
10,618 Posts
I've tried all scenarios and I just seem to have a lot more luck with a full strutting Tom and a feeding hen. Killed my last 3 birds this way and they all came in charging that Tom decoy.

· Registered
908 Posts
If I am in the woods. I like to use 2 hens alone. Each one angled differently in different locations, so the Tom can see them from different vantage points. You never know which direction the Tom is going to come into or hang up from, so if one decoy is blocked by the crest of hill, then he might be able to pick out the other one.

· Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Killer-B and a upright hen laying on the ground....really seems to draw them in! Motion IS everything!
Exactly what I was thinking about using this year! except I may throw in a feeder hen!

TTT

· Registered
6,628 Posts
My opening day set up will consist of the following....

1.) Carry Lite Peep N' Tom w/ jake fan and beard
2.) Hardcore Widowmaker hen painted to look like a DSD
3.) Carry Lite Pretty Mama feeding hen with string attached for feeding action

I'll have the Widowmaker down on the ground in the submissive position with my Peep N' "Jake" standing behind her. Then off to the side I'll have the Pretty Mama feeding and I'll give a tug on the string for some motion every so often just for added realism and confidence. In PA though, I make sure I have orange visible because we have nitwits that will shoot my decoy even if they see the blind.

· Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TTT

It seems like about half of you use Jakes, and only a quarter use toms! Kinda suprising!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.