Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been toying with the diaghram calls and can't seem to get them to work right. How does the diaghram seat into the top of the mouth? My teeth are screwed up and the plastic U shaped frame is too wide and won't fit into the roof of my mouth, is that how it is supposed to fit? Any help is appreciated.

· Registered
2,744 Posts
First, Don't be afraid to trim it to fit comortably, I always do. If it has more then 1 reed the longest solid reed goes up. As the sound is coming out say the words at the same time. YELP,YELP, YELP or PUTT, PUTT ,PUTT. TRy different brands also, some are easier. Start with a single or double reed first. Keep practicing,once you learn you'll never forget. Sometimes I even bend them SLIGHTLY to get a better fit.

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Several companies make youth model diaphram calls that feature a smaller frame. H.S. Strut makes a series of flex frame calls that might work. Also don't be afraid to trim or bend the tape around the outside of the call. Hope this helps.

· Registered
2,313 Posts
Dont mean to Hijack but how do you keep these things in your mouth ,I have tried several different types over the years & all of them make me gag.
I love the sound they can produce but I just cant seem to get over the gag reflex any tricks ? What am I doing wrong here.

· Registered
1,084 Posts
Dont mean to Hijack but how do you keep these things in your mouth ,I have tried several different types over the years & all of them make me gag.
I love the sound they can produce but I just cant seem to get over the gag reflex any tricks ? What am I doing wrong here.
You probably have a hard time brushing your toung to. Form it where it's up tight behind your front top gums and the roof of your mouth.Hope that helps.

· Registered
1,664 Posts
If your gaging I think you may have the call too far back. You want to try and seal it to the roof of your top jaw, not the back of your mouth, once its there it shouldn't move. If you are putting it in the roof of your mouth, you may have a weak gag reflex.

· Registered
243 Posts
It took me awhile to get used to the feeling of having a call in my mouth, but it eventually felt comfortable. I just always had one in my pocket or in my truck and would just play around with it in my free time or on my way home from work. I trim most of my calls as well to get the custom fit that I like. Once you get used to using one and you're well practiced, it's tough to want to use much else, although it is great to help mimic calls from two hens.

· Registered
105 Posts
ha, the first time i tried one i gaged and puked in my truck leaving wal mart!

then i kept practicing and now i wouldnt use anything else. here are a couple tips from me... some have been stated previously...
- def. dont be afraid to trim the tape... but not to much

- if it tickles your tongue so bad you want to spit it out put more pressure with your tongue

- try saying the word "chuck" while you call

- and the little $5.00 diaphram call holder you clip to the bill of your hat is priceless!

- oh yeah... dont lose the little dinky plastic cases that come with em... the only time my calls arent in their case is either when its in my mouth or im in the field.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.