Archery Talk Forum banner

Turkey Hunters that bowhunt without blinds sign in!!

886 Views 23 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  Double S
Anyone who is planning or has shot a turkey with a bow without a blind tell us your story and show us your setups on how youll do it again. Show us your bows and what gear youll be using. Nothing like up'n the challenge on a already hard hunt.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
14,406 Posts
Well, it wasn't my plan to go without the blind, but I ended up shooting a really nice bird without one last spring. Here is the story:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=695759

I've shot others good gobblers without a blind, just using large trees and brush piles etc for cover. I do try to use the blind when possible though. I've been most successful without the blind during late morning, 10-12, when I can work with a gobbler 1 on 1 and not have to deal with so many eyes (hens).

· Registered
917 Posts
I'll be going with my Mathews Outback and Spitfire 100's this year without a blind. Never used the bow on'm before. Where I hunt is an old Christmas tree farm so there is plenty of cover! I've never had a problem moving around on them with a gun there.

· Registered
973 Posts
I hunt with and without depending on the turkey's additude can change the way I hunt, if they arent gobbling then I run and gun. If they are wanting a hen bad and gobbling like crazy coming to calls I'll use a blind.

I do whatever is most successful, don't be fooled hunting without a blind can be much better than with! I can honestly say I've had many better oppourtunities without a blind than with.
Plus you can cover much more ground!

· Registered
223 Posts
hunting turkeys for the 1st time,bear truth2,shuttle t locks,3d bug suit,2 differant calls,will be hunting a small creek bed,cover is pretty thick.dont know how to post pics,if i can find out how to pics will be up soon.

· Registered
1,265 Posts
The last two years I have been using a ameristep G-30 blind it works great except for the fact that I missed my first two birds from the darn windows, they are high and the broadhead zipped the bottoms off them and threw the arrow off:angry::angry: It works well from the right windows but I was thinking of buying a predator blind this year.

· Shoot straight!
3,658 Posts
I've gotten a couple without the blind. Nothing like running and gunning with a bow. Just need to be in the right situation. Someone calling behind you will also work well.:)

· Registered
210 Posts
O.k. Goin on my first ever archery turkey hunt and can't decide weather to use a blind or not, think I'll use one for my first year and learn from there, but I have a question on kill zone, where do you aim for the most lethal shot???

· Registered
973 Posts
O.k. Goin on my first ever archery turkey hunt and can't decide weather to use a blind or not, think I'll use one for my first year and learn from there, but I have a question on kill zone, where do you aim for the most lethal shot???
BASE OF THE NECK or you take a hight risk of wounding the birds and losing them, they are the toughest for their size, and its much better to miss clean or kill quick, right?

· Registered
12 Posts
Beginners luck

First bird I ever took with a bow was without a blind - 5yrs ago. All other bow kills since then have been from a blind. Whenever I get the shotgun out I just run and gun without a blind...

One morning I set up on public land. A treeline was to the east of me about 1/4 mile. Behind me to the west was another treeline about a 1/4 mile away. I was on a saddle that connected the two timbers - big grassy field in between the timbers. The ridgeline that I was on had 10 ft tall cedar trees spaced about 10 yards apart for several hundred yards. At first light a single gobbler to the east of me started going off. I was about ready to start calling when all kinds of gobbles and hen calls started comming from the treeline behind me. Those birds pitched out of the trees and started feeding behind me (out of my view, but I could hear them plainly). That got the single bird in front of me comming fast. As he got close, I used the cedar for cover and came to full draw. Took him through the wings at about 5 yards. He saw me right as I released. He was following the ridgeline heading right toward the flock behind me.

Beginners luck!

· Registered
12 Posts
Shot Placement

The best way to learn the kill zone is to visualize it. There are some links of a turkey's anatomy out there for both strutting and nonstrutting birds. Also views from the front, back and sides. You really need to see these diagrams before hunting. On a strutting bird, the aim point is much higher than I originally thought.

Sorry, I can't find the link that I'm looking for. This link does have a couple of diagrams that should help. There are probably better on this board, but this is all that google gave me : )

http://wibowhunters.proboards54.com/index.cgi?board=turkey&action=display&thread=33

good luck!

Don't know if this edit will work - never tried before... but I found a little better link...

http://www.parsonsoutdoors.com/hittin_turkeys.html

· Registered
18 Posts
Great hunt without blind!

My most memorable hunt was one without a blind. In the just early season of 2007 I went out just to locate birds but decided to take my bow just in case. As I called into a valley bottom I herd one very excited gobble and could not pass it up! After reaching the treeline that ran east/west with a river behind I set with my back to the evergreens and started calling. I forgot to mention I also had a single foam foldup hen in my vest and set her up out in the open pasture in front of me. This bird was going crazy! and getting closer every minute. It was getting late and I new he was close to roosting, so I kept it excited when calling. Soon I could see his fan coming thru the trees. When he stepped out he was only 10 yds to my right! As close as he was I might as well been out in the open but he had that hen in full site. As he strutted to greet her he turned his back to me and I drew back and dropped him in his tracks with a spine shot. That is a great shot to take in my book without a blind! This bird was a jake but one I will never forget!

· Registered
4,635 Posts
One with the Blind and One without so Far..

Hitting it here this year with the ASAT suit and No blind. Cant wait.

· Registered
817 Posts
I set up in a corner of a field using a patch of briers that I cut an area out of that I can sit in. On my right is a hill and an area where the birds usually roost for the night. I set my decoy so any birds will land and walk away from me. I will hunt the same area this year. Here's the bird I got last year.

Set up is Bowtec Commander 60# 3 bladed rage broadheads.

Attachments

· Registered
1,135 Posts
i was able to harvest this bird without a blind on sunday. was set up on the edge of a powerline tucked under a pinetree limb that was drooping down with the decoys out about 13 yards in front of me!!!

heres the link to the picture
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=876197

· Registered
3,220 Posts
I'll be using my 05' Pearson Pride for turkeys this year and i'll be wearing a crap load of leafy camo. If i use any kind of blind at all, it will be the H.S. Strut fold out mini blind that i can carry in my vest. Plus my bow is its own blind... :drool: 2 more weeks before our season open's...:faint: I don't think i'am going to be able to wait much longer...:) Most of ya'll remember these pic's of my spring set-up turkey bow...:grin: They'll never see it coming...:ninja:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.