Archery Talk Forum banner

Turkey hunting from a tree

671 Views 14 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Oregonian
Does anyone hunt turkey from a tree stand? I've always hunted from the ground. A buddy and are going to double team them this year taking turns calling. I thought being elevated might be helpful. Any advice would be appreciated.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
28,629 Posts
Not much cover this time of year. Good luck, let us know how you did.

· Registered
4,159 Posts
ive never done it but offen wondered the same thing if it would be any good. I cant see it being any better. during deer season when i see them, well lets just say they have wicked good eyes. i heard once that ifa chicken could read it could read the news paper at halfa mile. and turkey's have better eyesight then chickens.

· Registered
37,232 Posts
I wouldnt even try it without alot of cover in the tree. I know Ive seen a ton of turkey over the years while deer hunting from a treestand and can say that evertime they even got close they pick you out pretty easy up there.

· Registered
4,130 Posts
Well in Pa for the last few weeks of archery deer season, fall turkey season overlaps. This past fall I kept having turkeys come by me just out of range until one night. First passed a group of 11 just out of range and then about 30 minutes later a group of 23 came by at about 30 yards. Let's just say 2 misses and one lost arrow. I was about 20 feet up in my climber. If you move slow I think you can make it happen. Just don't be like me and miss the shot when you actually get it ha. The next morning was a downpour and I was heading to a PSU football game around 830am so I decided right and took the shotgun out that morning and got my bird 10 minutes after legal shooting light.

· Registered
3,792 Posts
It's been tougher for me to get drawn from a tree stand than on the ground, no matter how slow I draw or how early I draw they usually see me.

· DefiantShooter
11,048 Posts
I've done it, but it was more by chance, not planned...

· Registered
14,406 Posts
A turkey spends half of its life in a tree. They have a pretty good handle on what going on above them . . . they don't miss much. Whitetails are another story. There is generally more available cover on the ground in the spring(prior to leaf out).

· Registered
1,992 Posts
It can be done I suppose. I usually see twice as many turkeys in the early archery season as I do during spring turkey season. I have only been able to draw on one without being busted.

· Registered
1,432 Posts
Your not really hunting em your just ambushing em as they walk by.What do you do if they are 100 yards out.If your on the ground you can make a move.Up a tree and your stuck up there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.