Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi first let me say thanks in advance for any help. This will be the first year hunting turkey, would like some advice on what you guys do to hunt them. also will a rage 100grain 2 blade expansible broadhead work good for turkey

·
Registered
189 Posts
Personally, I have always used fixed blade broadheads, but for turkeys the rage will work just fine. I use mouth calls because i can get the best sound out of them and they are convenient(zink and woodhaven). However, they might be a challenge for a beginner, so i would recommend a slate call or a box call. The biggest secret to calling is dont overdue it. the less you have to call the better. Decoys are a must if you plan on calling them in. Hen decoys work well, but i generally use a jake or tom decoy, because birds will see them and want to charge in and protect their territory. Figure out where the birds go in the morning (like a field) and set up there. You can use a crow call before they get out of their roost to locate them. Keep in mind you wont get a response after every call you make, and some birds dont even gobble, they just come in. If I cant find a bird right away in the morning I will either go set up in a good location and just call periodically. If that doesnt work, i will walk around and make a call every 100 yards or so until i get a response. Full camo, face mask being very very important, is also a must. If you are having trouble calling them in, sometimes just sitting on the edge of a field you know they hang out in with a decoy out works well. Another good method is to figure out where they are roosting, sneak in there in a couple hours before they come to roost, and just sit and wait. Last, a spot and stalk will also work, but you have to be patient and move slow, because they are very weary of their surroundings. There are plenty of other tricks that cant be taught by reading, only experience. Plus i cant give away all of my secrets :) good luck, message me if you have any questions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts