Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this site has helped me out so much with getting my bow all tuned up and ready to hunt, but now i'm getting ready to go turkey hunting and need as many tips or advice that you guys can give me. i'm going to buy a few calls today so i can practice a little before the season.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Assuming you are going to be hunting from a blind, the best tip I can give you is if you feel you are in a hot spot, stay there all day (or until legal shooting hours end). I get very impatient at times and want to move when I quit hearing birds and sit there for an hour or so. Many times I have found out later that turkeys were right there where I was set up later in the day. It's fun to run and gun, but many times you are cutting your chances than if you just stayed put. Trust your hot spot and he will eventually show up.

I wish I could stick to this advice! :wink:

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Roost the birds the night before and in the morning try to get set up close as you can(80 to 100 yds is great if you can get that close without spooking them). They will usually pitch down uphill from the roost because it is easier for them to land.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Don't over call.A lot of hunters in my area try to wear out their mouth calls or what ever they choose to use once they get the gobbler to gobble....than he hangs up on them.If he interested...it won't take much calling to bring him in.GL

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Be patient!
Stay in the spot that you have confidence in.
Use your calls sparingly.More often than not if the birds your hunting have any kind of pressure on them they will come in without making a sound!!!!
If you are using decoys set them close to the blind(4 or 5 steps) and have the hen decoy facing the blind so that when the tom moves in front of her to strut you will have the perfect chance to draw and about the perfect shot.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
1. Know the terrain
2. Know where the birds want to go
3. Be patient
4. Don't over call
5. See 1-4

1 - 6 of 6 Posts