Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips you guys can give me, I'd much appreciate it.

I've never turkey hunted with a bow before but look forward to the challenge.

What types of broadheads are you guys shooting? Should I sit out in the open with camo on or in a blind?

Thanks

Jay

·
Registered
767 Posts
1. learn to call with different calls. I use a box for volume and mouth call for closer calling. plus I it gives you options I've had birds like one call over another also
2. Turkey's like to walk on either even ground or up hill more then then they like to walk down hill to calls
3. Their eyesight is very very good, so movement needs to be very little
4. don't set up in the same spot every day turkeys will start to pattern you
5.You can sit with just camo on but I like to have some trees or something so that when the bird walks behind it I can draw. otherwise a blind is nice
6. locator calls such as crow call can be useful for later in the morning or when stalking looking for birds
7. Match the excitement of the birds in the area. If he is not talking in the morning don't start calling nonstop. give softer more spread out calls
8. Don't over call, meaning yelp then wait at least 20-30mins, Toms will sometimes gobble once then walk in silently
9. a regular broadhead is good for body shoots but you can get a guillotine style for head shots
10.Have fun turkey hunting is amazing and a lot of fun

·
Registered
647 Posts
Cab27 has great info/tips
My addition is something a buddy beat into my head..
When you sit down and start a hunt STAY THERE for a minimum of 45 minutes! No matter if you hear a gobbler or not. They sometimes come in silent. I used to be a run-n-gun hunter but after sticking to this rule I have killed a lot more birds being patient. Gobblers travel, following or looking for hens. If you are hunting a good turkey area follow this rule. I guarantee this will make you more successful. Patience is a big key to successful turkey hunting.
93 days till the opener of my 34th Spring Gobbler season, and I can't wait!!!!Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts