Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
elite archery ................ mossy oak
625 Posts
you have to be careful in NJ cause thats when guys are out hunting them -have heard many a shot an hour before daylight in these parts:mad::mad:

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had success roosting at sundown, I was just curious if I could sneak out after putting the kids to bed and still find where they are roosted.

I have never heard anyone say that it would work, but I have also never heard anyone say that it definitely would not work either.

· Registered
8,137 Posts
Does anyone here have any experience trying to locate turkeys on the roost after dark?
Say 9:30 pm or later?
Owl, crow, coyote, peacock, air horn, etc.? Just curious.
In my experience, turkeys will gobble at anything. Whistles, coyotes and slamming car doors are good places to start :D. My kids had this flexible tube toy...you spin it real fast and it whistled. Drove the turkeys insane.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know about shock gobbling in the hour or so before dawn and around sunset.

My question is about whether they will shock gobble at night, in the pitch dark, like between 9:00 pm and 1:00 am. Just for convenience sake if I cannot get out to roost them at sundown.

· Registered
8,137 Posts
I know about shock gobbling in the hour or so before dawn and around sunset.

My question is about whether they will shock gobble at night, in the pitch dark, like between 9:00 pm and 1:00 am. Just for convenience sake if I cannot get out to roost them at sundown.
Yep, they'll gobble all night.

· Registered
10,406 Posts
I've heard them gobble at 10 oclockpm on roost on nights with a full moon.

· Premium Member
5,888 Posts
While on very rare occasions I have gotten turkeys to gobble many hours after dark. i primarily roost from dusk to no more than 30 minutes after it is good and dark. They just don't gobble much after that,your best bet is from fly up to about 20 minutes after they have settled on the limb.

· Registered
2,847 Posts
I have seen turkey silhouetted against the night sky when there was a full moon. Never heard them gobble late at night, though.

· Registered
19,079 Posts
I use a owl locater at night. Works pretty well and they usually respond!!

· Registered
1,124 Posts
I never go out without having a birds location from the night before. I have never blind called to birds. I have to be at work everyday and have never hunted past 8 am. I use an owl or a whistle and it works every time at night even late....

· Registered
19,079 Posts
yep owl, or whistle is what I use. Have had birds Gobble back at 10:00 Pm

I never go out without having a birds location from the night before. I have never blind called to birds. I have to be at work everyday and have never hunted past 8 am. I use an owl or a whistle and it works every time at night even late....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.