Archery Talk Forum banner

Turkey Season is Almost Here!!!

421 Views 14 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  davejohnson2
What kinda new gear are you all using. Do you all hunt from the blind or can u pull it off in the open. Any exciting stories!!!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Fat Jesus
29,133 Posts
My turkey setup for this year is gonna be=
Elite Z-28
Spot Hogg Hogg-It sights
Phantom fall away rest
SIMS Modular stabilizer
Vortxx quiver
Grim Reaper broadheads
And lots of MossyOak camo
I'll use a blind some and without a blind some...Depends on where I'm at.

· John
2,740 Posts
I started hunting turkey 2 years ago, and have yet to succeed, but have a fun story from last season. I usually can only go on weekends, as my wife works 4p-12a shifts, so I'm with the kids while she's at work. Anyway, it was the last day of the season last year, and I had yet to see a tom come within range of my decoys/blind. I had toms calling back to me all season, but none would come close...had several hens walk right by my blind...still, no tom. Finally, I got a tom (might have been a jake, but I couldn't tell) to come into my decoys...I called and had him gobbling from quite a distance for about 20 minutes. I finally saw him running toward my decoys. I got excited, since I hadn't gotten a shot opportunity previously, and mis-judged distance. The shot went at his feet (right between his legs, to be specific). He stuck around for a while, but behind my blind...making the weirdest noise I have ever heard. I have had deer within 10 yards of me and haven't been as antsy as I was when I saw that tom/jake coming at me. What a rush!! I lost my spot for this year, so it may be more difficult to find birds, but it won't stop me from going. I Love this time of year!!

· Registered
633 Posts
This will be my first year thunder chicken hunting. Ive always deer and duck hunted but this year I want a gobbler. The main reason was due to lack of population in my area but has seemed to pick up in the last couple years and I think since work is slow now is a perfect time to get out there and try

· Registered
1,612 Posts
Bowtech Genral
Hogg It sight
Limb Driver rest
Octane stab.
Easton Flatline arrows with FOB's
Rage 2 blade 2 inch BH's

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i am definatly gonna try hunting without a blind this year just to make things even more a challang. i got a new property about a month ago and cant wait to see how the birds are there

· Registered
1,560 Posts
New bow (Hoyt AM 32)
lots of calls
11 yrs experience going after those birds
same spot to hunt for the past 5 yrs

Lovin' it when the snow melts at this time of year.

---WHO DOESN'T GET ADDICTED TO HUNTING TURKEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
395 Posts
first bird this year will be with shot gun,

if I get a second I'm gonna try the bow.What tips or broadheads work for everyone?THis will be a new expeariance so i'm lookin for new insights on the broad heads.:darkbeer:

'

· Registered
6 Posts
this is the third year for myself hunting longbeards solely with the bow.its the only way to go. we hunt them out of the double bulls as well as run and gun them in the open.we film all of our hunts so you can imagine how tough it is trying to kill in the open with two guys,camera equipment and decoys but sometimes carrying the double bull is more of a pain.either way the main thing is decoys. you have to direct that gobbler's attention away from you so you can draw. we use full strut decoys and when we run and gun we use hen decoy with a-way turkey skinz wrapped around her. it works awsome and is light to carry.we use rage two blades to cut big holes.hope this helps we have abeen very succesful using these methods

ALL ARCHERY ALL THE TIME

· Registered
6 Posts
this is the third year for myself hunting longbeards solely with the bow.its the only way to go. we hunt them out of the double bulls as well as run and gun them in the open.we film all of our hunts so you can imagine how tough it is trying to kill in the open with two guys,camera equipment and decoys but sometimes carrying the double bull is more of a pain.either way the main thing is decoys. you have to direct that gobbler's attention away from you so you can draw. we use full strut decoys and when we run and gun we use hen decoy with a-way turkey skinz wrapped around her. it works awsome and is light to carry.we use rage two blades to cut big holes.hope this helps we have abeen very succesful using these methods

ALL ARCHERY ALL THE TIME

· SWAMP GANGSTER
4,014 Posts
Once again i am going to try to start my season with bow in hand, i am thinking of buying some bullheads even. We are putting up a turkey/deer blind i am going to try to shoot out of. Looks like i might have to take my oneida out as my new dream season is back to pse already.

· Registered
4,586 Posts
my setup:
mossberg 835 full camo w/ madmax choketube shooting 3 1/2", 2 1/4 oz. #6 winchester double x magnums:mg:
that'll get em:shade:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.