Votes: 3 9.4%
  • 2013 (Upcoming Season)

Votes: 29 90.6%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Season opens up in midwest states around 3rd week of April, any thoughts on the this years weather from last year.. this blizzard that just hit got me thinking about how spoiled we were last season with so much cover and and great temps. Do you think those long beards will respond a little better for the first few weeks this season due to spring being so late?

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,485 Posts
longer winter, later breeding, but also poor coverage in the woods meaning those beedy little eyes may pick you out a lot easier this year. I do believe the birds will be more responsive this season; once we are permitted to be in the woods chasing them...

Joe

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I've had toms gobbling on nice mornings since January. The cold temps don't slow them down near as much as wind. You can even get them to respond in wind, but it's much harder!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
This year should be awesome, so many jakes around last season means lots of 2 yr old gobblers this year plus the slightly later spring may factor into the birds being more responsive. Although I did tag out after only two trips to the woods last season, can't improve too much on that.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Watch a tom bread a hen Saturday am while out scouting in Greene county NY on snow covered ground. Temps might effect their mood but breading goes down roughly the same time every year just like deer in the fall.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Ky here. Ive heard that they're already breeding here too. Season might open up a tad too late this year... again.

·
NOCK ON!!!
2,886 Posts
Yesterday was the season opener for Nebraska's Archery Turkey. I think it should be a very successful spring on the Turkeys. Last year we had a 65% success rate and I believe it can be topped this year. The turkeys actually benefited from the drought last summer. Hoping this spring rocks!!

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,535 Posts
I'm very optimistic about this year.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Last year was rough, windy, rain, and then hot. birds gobbled hard before the season, then stopped. This year should be better.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Last year was good toms didnt talk much however. But the dense cover made it easy to get tight on birds in the roost. Be real tough this year, just hope the are more responsive! (midwest wi)

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Find the right bird and you'll have good hunting every single year from April until the end of May. Some years, though, you just have to cover a little more ground to find that bird.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts