Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you tell anything about a bird by is fan? I know a jake will have four longer feathers in the middle. But I killed two birds that were almost identical in weight and beard length. The bird in the back had 7/8 spurs 8 inch beard and was 18lbs. Fan in front had 3/4 spurs, 8.5 inch beard and 18.5lbs. The front fan looks like it is from a younger bird to me. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
You can't tell from the tails on longbeards how old they are. Both the birds you killed are likely 2 years old given the length of their spurs.

·
Registered
23,335 Posts
From my experiences, you cannot tell a bird's size by his fan. My biggest bird ever had one of the smallest fans of any I've killed. My biggest fan is from a 2 yr old I killed a few years ago. Spur size is the only way to tell a bird's age.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
From my experiences, you cannot tell a bird's size by his fan. My biggest bird ever had one of the smallest fans of any I've killed. My biggest fan is from a 2 yr old I killed a few years ago. Spur size is the only way to tell a bird's age.
I believe spurs can be deceiving as well. Here in PA the majority of the birds we hunt are mountain birds and their spurs are rarely over and inch

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking they were two year olds but when I looked at the fans side by side it got me thinking.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I believe spurs can be deceiving as well. Here in PA the majority of the birds we hunt are mountain birds and their spurs are rarely over and inch
Must be a coincidence that the states where there is "probably" more cockfighting going on produces longer spurs.

·
Proverbs 21:19
9,614 Posts
2 year olds most likely but the 7/8 could be a 3 year old.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Some "fan's" are longer than others, genetics.. LOL

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Can't tell age by tail fan (Edit: you can tell if it's a jake or a mature bird by the fan but not the actual age). It's difficult enough to determine age by beard and spurs. In my crappy opinion, you can judge a turkeys age up until 3 years (beard tips with no amber color is mainly what I look at). After the 3 year mark, who knows. And even then he could be 3 or 4 or 5 or 6. When I kill a bird that I don't think is a 2 year old I always say that he's 3 or older.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts