Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at turkey vests for the spring. in the past i've just used a backpack but chasing fall birds this year has be rethinking this and it would be nice to have everything better organized and accessible.

i mainly am hunting in mountain terrain with no shortage of trees to post up against. i'm wondering if a kickstand model like the alps grand slam is a good choice or would it be a pain on uneven terrain. i see they have a new model called the impact which has a crazy creek stye camp chair built in but question the padding in the bottom for long sits. the frame is removable on the grand slam which means i could run it without in the mountains and put it on if i'm in flatter terrain or an area with no trees. any thoughts?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Alps Grand Slam will be my new vest this year.

I've been using a Tenzing TP14 and really like it. Well laid out and more room/separate pockets than you will ever need.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Be on the lookout for the new nomad vest this year. It is built off of the classic and highly sought after Dixon vest of the late 80s. It is built by a Turkey hunter and is very well laid out.

I have been using a tom teaser quick sack for a while now and a tactical tatr before that. I love my tom teaser bag. I can put everything I had in the vest into that bag and be lighter and cooler. With that said, I am getting a new nomad vest to try.

·
Registered
94 Posts
looking at turkey vests for the spring. in the past i've just used a backpack but chasing fall birds this year has be rethinking this and it would be nice to have everything better organized and accessible.

i mainly am hunting in mountain terrain with no shortage of trees to post up against. i'm wondering if a kickstand model like the alps grand slam is a good choice or would it be a pain on uneven terrain. i see they have a new model called the impact which has a crazy creek stye camp chair built in but question the padding in the bottom for long sits. the frame is removable on the grand slam which means i could run it without in the mountains and put it on if i'm in flatter terrain or an area with no trees. any thoughts?

Get the Alps Grand Slam Vest. I used it last year and it was by far the best piece of hunting gear I ever purchased. The kickstands are great and very useful but what I liked the most about it was the back is framed and padded. So when you sit up against a tree you have lower back support without sitting straight up against the tree. It allows for a very comfortable sit no matter what position your in. Trust me you won't be disappointed.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
A Primos vest.. cant remember the name of it...the thick foam seat has side straps attached to the seat pad that help support your back as you sit whether is is up against a tree or not.. very comfortable, plenty of pockets and big back pouch for decoys

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use and Ol Tom Time & Motion vest that has a foam pad running the length of the spine and a foam seat that swings down. Its well made and works fine for leaning against a tree but the seat needs to be a wedge shape vs the flat that most vest offer. I try to fold the flat pad to give some extra thickness and form a wedge as most times the ground slopes away from the tree's trunk. Any frame seat built in should have a way to adjust height of the front legs so you can lean back a little on sloping ground.

One other issue with vests to consider is the size of the pockets used to hold box calls. My old tried and true favorite, a Lynch's World Champion, is too big to fit the box specific pockets in the Ol Tom vest. There's other pockets to use but they are on the small side.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I have a Tenzing TP14. I bought it early last summer. Midway or Rogers or somewhere had it like 75% off. Couldn't pass it up. I have not used it yet tho on a hunt. I'm not sure I will like it. The legs seem kind of difficult to maneuver/set up and the fit isn't great. Before I make my final decision I will definitely have to use it on a hunt. But I am a little disappointed in it.

Badlands had one of their Skullworks designs last summer for a Turkey vest. They haven't come out with the actual vest yet but the pics of their potential design look VERY promising. I am sure it will be expensive but if their vests are like their packs, it'll be worth it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
tagged, need a new one myself..
If interested in my Tenzing TP14, PM me. It's in excellent condition. Used it last season. It has a little blood on the back carry component. Should wash out. I'm pulling it out today and taking my gear out of it and trying to wash the spot out.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
If interested in my Tenzing TP14, PM me. It's in excellent condition. Used it last season. It has a little blood on the back carry component. Should wash out. I'm pulling it out today and taking my gear out of it and trying to wash the spot out.
Thanks for info, but that one is a little more than I need. I try to travel as light as I can being i’ve got bow,blind,and decoys to carry also. Really dont need the back rest, support legs, or cushion. I’m sitting in a blind chair most of the time. But, I will keep it in mind.

·
Romans 8:1-39 NLT
1,076 Posts
Cabelas Tactical Tater I've used it for 10years best I've tried.
^^^^This vest is awesome! I know a bunch of guys that have it and love it including my dad.

I don't carry the amount of crap I used to so I went with the Cabelas minimalist vest. Lives up to it's name so depends on how much stuff you bring. Both vests are very well made.

·
Aim Small, Miss Small
5,589 Posts
A Primos vest.. cant remember the name of it...the thick foam seat has side straps attached to the seat pad that help support your back as you sit whether is is up against a tree or not.. very comfortable, plenty of pockets and big back pouch for decoys
The Rocker. I handled one a little and thought it was awesome (and actually bought my brother one for christmas), but I have very limited knowledge and experience with turkey vests so I can't say how it compares to others.

·
Registered
618 Posts
^^^^This vest is awesome! I know a bunch of guys that have it and love it including my dad.

I don't carry the amount of crap I used to so I went with the Cabelas minimalist vest. Lives up to it's name so depends on how much stuff you bring. Both vests are very well made.
I have been using Cabelas Tactical Tater vest for the past 4 season and have no complaints

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Thanks for info, but that one is a little more than I need. I try to travel as light as I can being i’ve got bow,blind,and decoys to carry also. Really dont need the back rest, support legs, or cushion. I’m sitting in a blind chair most of the time. But, I will keep it in mind.
The inside pouches of the vest actually unsnap so you can hang them up inside a blind. Pretty cool thing. You still have all the other bulk but it is a cool feature if you are going to be doing a combo of sitting in a blind & running and gunning

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
The Rocker. I handled one a little and thought it was awesome (and actually bought my brother one for christmas), but I have very limited knowledge and experience with turkey vests so I can't say how it compares to others.
I'm a pretty serious turkey hunter and ran a lot of vest and the rocker has been my hands down favorite but the seams aren't very durable as the stitching is coming out in 4 locations after just one season. they wanted me to pay to send it back and give them money to return ship it to me just to fix and not replace it so i will be doing my own sowing fixes before next season.

·
Premium Member
26,863 Posts
I am using one I purchased from lil bean in 2013.I have went through over a dozen and still have a handful of others,I really like my current vest but I am looking at the rocker,I would have picked it up last year but read the reviews on it not being durable held me back.I can't wait until april 25th....winter can't end soon enough....Grizz

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I really like the looks of the Tenzing and Tactical Tater.
I have been through a few over the years my favorite was an old 10X with a couple pockets. I picked up a Primos vest about 5 years ago and packed everything I own in that thing. This year I am traveling light with a military load bearing harness, attached to a waist pack, 70 oz hydration system ;and a old modified strut seat with the cushion from my primos vest.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts