Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be hunting turkey for the very first time this spring, in the Allegheny Mts in Western PA. For deer and feral hog last year, I shot Easton Epic arrows with my Hoyt Lazertec. Any general advice as to what type of tip I should use for turkey? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
just my thoughts

1. Turn down the LBS on your bow, like 10lbs less than you would use to hunt for deer in the fall, I have mine down to 50lbs and feel like I could hold it forever.

2. Either use a Ground blind or create one

3. Decoys are a must and their set up with the hen faciing away from you and the jake facing towards you.

4. Be prepared to be addicted!!

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
Just an additional tip or two:

Practice calling a lot...try a few different calls, but make sure you can adequately use a diaphram, or mouth call. It will help to be able to free your hands up.

Consider getting a 3-D Leafy Camo suit of some type. They are certainly not necessary, but are pretty helpful if you are not using a blind. I like this method more than using a blind, as I can be a bit more mobile and feel a bit more like Rambo.

While I understand the input previously given about turning your poundage down, I keep mine up at the same 70# as always. I am really good at judging distances with that poundage and speed and I want my trajectory to be as flat as possible.

Consider using a big expandable type broadhead.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I'm kind of being pressed into turkey hunting by a friend, and right now I'm not to excited about it. But I wasn't thrilled about learning to fly fish for trout last year either, and now I can't wait to wade into a freezing stream as soon as possible. I'm sure I'll have another in a long line of hunting addictions to add to my list after my first turkey bow kill.

·
registered archer
3,256 Posts
if your going with a bow. like mentioned a blind will help. you dont have to worry about the birds being as skittish of blinds like deer are. id put the decoys no further than 10yds giving you around a 20ydsshot(hopefully)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts