Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you guys that don't mount your turkey,,,,,What do you do with the primary wing feathers from your bird?

Do you keep them or just throw them out?

Would you give them away to someone that would use them?

Just wondering what some of you guys do with them.

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
I give mine to a friend that is a traditional shooter who makes his own feather fletching from them.

·
Registered
736 Posts
If that someone wants to pay for shipping...I've got two complete wings stretched out in the garage;) Never could bring myself to throw them away after I salted them while they were nailed out on a half sheet of plywood.
Thier keeping the amount of dust down on the other stuff out there:eek:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well to kind of give you uguys a low down. I am wanting to make some fletchings to make arrows for my long bow, make some arrows for the cub scouts that I work with for there arrow of light, and to show to the NBEF classes that I teach.

I was hoping to get a bird this year but things are just not working out, I didn't get a tag for my home state, my trip to KY is in limbo because of some things I am doing with the cub scouts. But it is not a big deal, there is always next year.

But if there are guys out there that would like to see there wing feathers get used for something good I have several projects I would use them for(cub scouts arrow of light is the many one). The cubs scouts in my den are just thrilled with the archery stuff I do as is the whole pack. I just thought I would make the arrows for the scouts that are getting there arrow of light and moving on to boy scouts. The pack is a new cubscout pack, and would like to start something special for them all and all the future scouts.

I would pay for shipping if anyone would like to send them to me.

·
Registered
10,619 Posts
Where are you at in IL? I might be able to hook you up with some when our season gets underway. I just live over by Terre Haute, and might be able to meet you somewhere.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Nwtf

A few years ago the NWTF had a program where you could send them in, and they'd donate them to a Native American tribe, who would use them in their art work. In exchange, you got a cool pin, designed by the artists. I don't know if they still do it or not, but I sent 'em a few.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
anyone one that needs any pm me
haven t got any now but will have in a couple weeks
have done everything i can with them by now so usually just chuck em

·
Bow Only
9,577 Posts
theres a guy here in IL i know that will make you a turkey call from the bones out of the wing. if i give him two wings he'll make me a call and use the other wing to make his own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts