Archery Talk Forum banner

Turkeys in Indiana

1327 Views 22 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  solohunter
How many of my fellow Hoosiers have turkeys in their neck of the woods?....we have virtually no turkeys around here....my grandpa has lived here his whole life and seen less than a handful in his entire lifetime...What kind of turkey population do you have and where are you at?
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
335 Posts
I live in southcentral Indiana 20 miles from Louisville KY. I remember seeing my first turkey in 1984 while deer hunting in Crawford county. I seen some in Harrison county where I live in 1986. I believe the first turkey season in this county was in 1992. I couldn't afford a license that year but learned to call and took my brother. We got on 1 turkey that year but someone trying to sneak up on it ruined the deal. The next year, I bought my first license and killed a bird on property formerly owned by my great grandpa. Within 2 minutes after shooting it, someone came walking up that had been trying to sneak up on the tom all morning. My fondest memory of that first turkey was the feeling like I was going to leave the ground when I grabbed him by the feet. The local turkey population has exploded since then. I have killed a turkey every year since 1993, but those early years were rough. Now, I call 4-6 turkeys a year for others and even do some guiding. There is nothing like the feeling of calling in and being part of someones first turkey. I believe Harrison county ranks around 3rd each year in the overall turkey harvest with over 400 birds. Not sure where you are from, but I know the high harvest counties are mostly in the southern part of the state. I have attached pics of me and my 3 kids from last season. Good luck this season.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats awesome...i would really love to find some birds that i could hunt...always wanted to kill one in my home state....i have killed a few in arkansas but none here in indiana

· Registered
179 Posts
I grew up in Madison county, practically no birds there, but we always deer hunted in Jefferson/Switzerland counties, plenty of birds down there. You can hunt Splinter Ridge WMA, lots of birds, although you might have to draw to hunt that WMA, I'm not sure. Started to see a lot up north the last time I deer hunted up there as well (7-8 years ago), Stueben county primarily.

· Registered
654 Posts
My old man told be about some the other day in northern St. Joseph county. I scouted it two days ago and didn't see anything.

Does anyone want to go turkey hunting this spring?

· Registered
1,438 Posts
Turkeys

There are turkeys in western Howard county but not eastern. I travel to southern Indiana to hunt birds. Just started knocking on doors. I think you will be suprised the number of people that will let you hunt turkeys. Just get a game plan together and research an area and take a day and go knocking. 50/50 chance you will get a yes.

· Registered
2,263 Posts
I live here in Lawrence county, and since ive been turkey hunting ive killed one every year. Which I know since I just said that I wont get one this year :rolleyes: lol

· Registered
987 Posts
We are just starting to get some good flocks (or is it pods) here in Kosciusko County. They are still in pockets, but it's more than we ever used to have. I hope to kill my first K-County bird this spring on my brothers property just north of Warsaw.

· Registered
1,492 Posts
I live in Cincinnati but and hunt Ripley, Dearborn, Ohio and Switzerland Counties...they are full of birds...but as a Buckeye im going to have to pass at hunting them for $208.00 for the time being. I prefer Ohio and Kentucky for the dollar. Southern Indiana should be good oppprtunities for those willing to travel down and knock on a few doors. In this economy, many of the non residents Indiana relies on each spring and fall to hunt deer and turkey will be visiting the neighbor states that are a better value.

· Banned
18,714 Posts
Way more down in southern Indiana...I used to do a trip yearly to HNF around Charles Deam Wilderness area and there are quite a few around there.....up here, well they are where they are....the F&W areas and down around the Kankakee river, with pockets here and there in North Porter Co.....I did take one off of my place two years back here in Porter Co....I had trail cam pics last year of a few nice toms and even a hen with poults....nothing at all seen so far this year except up along the National Lake Shore by our State park and a few small flocks here and there....:cocktail:

· Team #9
9,751 Posts
Hey I comming to IN..for a turkey hunt..can you buy non res tags over the
counter? and how much are they? and when you buy one is for just one
county? I didn`t apply for one here and you can`t just get one..so I was
invited to hunt IN..thanks for your time.....

bigbucks10

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.