Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new Black Gold 5 pin fiber sight the other day. Shot it in 3D shoot today and was standing in direct sunlight, target in total shade. Took aim and could not see target at all because all the pins were so bright. Basically moved sight line to one side, figured about where I should aim, pulled back to "hope for" vitals, and shot a 5. Didn't miss all together, 5 better than 0 I guess. Would covering the fiber coils on top of sight decrease the intensity or are there other ways of turning down the brightness of the pins? Thanks:)

·
Registered
Ten Point Turbo GT - Viper S400
2,026 Posts
Yes if you cover those fiber optics that should calm down the brightness. I've had that same situation happen to me, accept I'm using a single pin sight for 3-d

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two other guys in my group had issues too. One had multi pin and other had single pin. They also both had problems, but on different targets. Maybe the fiber exposure points on different sights is an issue too. Thanks for the tips:)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I have had that same thing happen to me and the others I was shooting with at a 3D shoot. I think being in the bright sun and the target in total shade is the problem and not so much the pin brightness.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
The electrical tape works pretty well, double over a pull tab and attach the other end, you can vary how much of the fiber is exposed for different conditions. My wife did this for years and wouldn't let me upgrade her sight. I finally put a Kingpin on her 3D bow to try and that was all it took!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had that same thing happen to me and the others I was shooting with at a 3D shoot. I think being in the bright sun and the target in total shade is the problem and not so much the pin brightness.
The pins where doing exactly what they were designed to do, which is good I guess. The problem being with the 5 pins transmitting maximum light there was no way you could look past the pins and see the target. Move the pins right/left of target and my eyes adjusted and could see the target fine, albeit dark. Move the pins back to shooting position, no target. I've often wondered if the sight manufactures could install some sort of on/off/reduction blocking mechanism for such instances.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,539 Posts
Axcel Accuview sight head is the way to go.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Black gold sights do offer a sort of of on feature that's why the fiber guard turns purple when in direct sunlight to reduce the amount of light hitting fibers.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Black gold sights do offer a sort of of on feature that's why the fiber guard turns purple when in direct sunlight to reduce the amount of light hitting fibers.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
I talked with customer support this morning and rep told me the housing should turn purple to reduce amount of sunlight going into fibers. I did not notice if it changed color or not to be honest. Nice sunny day today, so tonight's archery project:) Very impressed with BG email customer service, fast and courteous. +1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts