Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PSE Baby G that is marked 80 lbs well I maxed it out and did a little shooting and I thought to myself this is sorta exhausting,thought well maybe just not up to par today.I went in and pulled it down on my scale and it was set at 103 lb draw !! I turned it down to 88 lbs and I am shooting a 440 gr arrow at that weight,a little loud but wow they are getting to the target in a hurry and sinking very deep compared to my 70 lb Patriot.I would go ahead and shoot it maxed out but my arrows are way to light for 103 lbs :eek: This dude is going to penetrate very well on deer and elk in about 3 weeks. :) Need to chronograph it and figure my kinetic energy,I bet it will be pretty darn high.It is also very accurate ,grouping extremely well.Can't wait till begining of sept !

·
Registered
937 Posts
i had the same thing happen

i had a pse mach 8 with maxis cams for a few years and ordered 80lb limbs for it. well one day feeling curious, i maxed it out and drew it and thought wow, i dont remember 80 being so tough. put it on the scale 101lbs and your right, they did get there in a VERY BIG HURRY and penetrated VERY VERY WELL on my targets .

·
Registered
162 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about your KE...I'm sure you're fine. I would worry more about if I was able to draw on a big ol bull elk after jogging up the side of a mountain and having to hold it for what is probly gonna seem like forever. But that's me. If I was shooting a 100 pounder I would probly wake up in the middle of the night in a sweat and wonder when I was gonna blow out my shoulder. If you can handle the big boy bows, go for it. I'm sure the performance will be devistating.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
BowhunterNJ said:
They have rhinos out there in MT?
Yeah....and I bet elephants too.

Geez o man...what are you guys hunting that you need or want to shoot a 100 pound draw weight. I didn't check profiles, but I'm assuming both you guys must be fairly young (compared to me anyway). I'm almost 4 years past 50. And I'm being very careful not to aggravate the day to day elbow problems I already have.

My advice...for what it's worth...is to back those bows down. Prolong your shooting years as long as possible guys. I know it sounds all macho to say..."Hey, I'm shooting 100 pounds." But when that shoulder goes in a few years, you might be saying...."Hey, I'm shooting 200 pounds. With my crossbow, because I can't draw and hold a compound anymore." :sad: And I know we all have a tendency to say...it won't happen to me. But as you've heard before. "Famous Last Words."

I don't even know why you'd need anything above 70 for game in North America. I know you've heard it before...shot placement and a good, razor sharp broadhead.

Like I said, just my .02 cents worth. Take it or leave it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Its just a matter of time when shooting high weight until the shoulder breaks down. Then 50# may be to much for you. On a cold winter day one shot might ruin it.

A 50 to 60 pound bow with a good broadhead is more than enough for elk, even a 50 pound recurve will do the job.

I have seen hunderds of bowhunters shoot their shoulders out over my past 40 years of shooting. And they all thought they were tough enough to handle it. You might want to rethink your set up.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Sniper

When I first started out, I had a High Country Sniper that I maxed out (I don't why) and it went to 94#'s. 26" 2315's w/ a 100gr thunderhead were hitting hard. I have no idea how fast but a deer's chest cavity didn't even slow it down. I was 21 then, and don't do that now. 70#'s is tops for me. My Illusion is set a 64#'s now, and I have no need to change it.

·
Registered
937 Posts
my 101#pse

i dont shoot that bow anymore, i actually still have it, just dont shoot it , i currently shoot an oneida black eagle at 64lbs once hunting season gets closer ill shoot around 72lbs. but thats it, no need for anymore then that.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree no need for 100 lbs, but I am very pleased with 88 lbs, very comfortable and man does it shoot those 440 gr arrows flat! I am using 1 pin through 35 yrds.This bow also has the Maxis cams and they are smoking fast .I hunt Elk Bear etc so I prefer the high kinetic energy that comes along with heavy arrows moving fast.It smokes the 2005 patriot I sold :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yep take the advice givin above..save your elbows and shoulders, I'm only 34 years old but started out shooting when I was 12 and bye the time I was 17 I was shooting 94lbs ..I did that for about 4 years, Never really thought much of it..but now I go out and shoot 5-6 shots out of my 70lb Allegiance my elbow hurts for a week! I think back and just shake my head what the heck was I thinking??

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
how long have you been shooting

give it a few years, you will get over the speed.

also, try to simulate a hunting situation where you are trying to get a shot at a buck, say chasing a doe.
draw it and hold, let down, draw and hold, let dow, draw hold and shoot.
hold it for 15-20 seconds each time

You should be able to shoot accurately, and draw smoothly and quietly each time. otherwise, count on it costing you a deer eventually.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Gorilla weight only way to go!

Keep up the good work your local economy will love you for it. Doctor’s bills, pharmacy bills, physical therapy bills, broken bows, and arrows, books, and videos when you’re all broke down and can no longer shoot. I would say you definitely know your onions!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Go lighter...

With today's bows you can shoot at 65 lbs and be over 300 fps with an incredible KE. Think of how staedy and light it would feel to you. YOu could probably hold it forever and shoot incredibly accurate and be absolutely still and draw the bow efortlessly smoothly straight back with hardly any motion, if what you say is true and that 88 seems comfortable to you.

The heaviest I ever shot when I was younger was 75 lbs. But there came a time when i couldn't draw the bow in the late season after sitting on stand for a few hours. I'm at 52 lbs now for whitetail and blow right through.

Go lighter.... Its better all the way around.

Joe Lorenti

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the negative BS guys ,I have been bowhunting for 20 yrs.Just because you shoot heavier draw weight does not mean you will ruin your shoulders.Not all men are created equal.88 lbs is light for me to pull not much effort at all required.Straight back nice a smooth,no skying the bow.Heavy arrows at 300 + fps are superior to light ones at 300 + fps no comparison.Flatter shooting and much better at breaking bone.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeh your right I should slow this setup down and put a good ol recurve arc into these arrows.Come on..I can see I am wasting my time trying to have fun.There are a bunch of-Experts on here- Why would anyone shoot something less potent than they are capable of shooting?? Especially when you are hunting game several times the size of deer and hunt in country that often has 40-50 yrd shot oppurtunities.I will take the high kinetic energy any day.Almost all my hunting is spot and stalk,never use a treestand anymore.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
You're right, not all men are created equal and you are a superior man.
Is that what you wanted to hear?

I guess I'll have to sell mine and buy a 90# allegiance since I can draw it and shoot accurately at that weight. (I did have a G force set at 85# that I shot very well with, but I never hunted with it.)

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes you for sure should, why hunt with 70 lb if you shoot well with 80 or 90?? You don't make any sense but hey thats ok,you have no profile either.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts