Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The farmer of my leased property planted 20 acres of turnips....yes, it is a big field. This past Monday, I found a tree boarding the field and got up in my climber. The turnips are about 4-5 inches long now. Although there could be a lot of reasons for not seeing any deerm, I'm wondering why I didn't see any activity, I walked the edge of the field and didn't see any crop damage. I would have thought that deer like turnips....?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
No personal experience, but I've heard the turnips need a hard frost before the deer will start hitting them, and sometimes it takes the deer a while to learn what a turnip is. After they get acquainted, you can't keep them off.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
We planted turnips in two of our food plots this year, in an area where no one has ever planted them before. Only two farms even remotely close to us and they have never planted them. We read that they needed a good freeze before the deer started eating them. Apparently the deer didn't read that article. They started eating the tops off in early October and started eating the turnips near the end of October, well before any hard frosts. The two plots look like mud wallows now. Guess it just depends on what all they have for options when it comes to eating. We'll be doing a lot more turnips next year.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I plant a small turnip food plot on my property. They eat the greens early in the season although they also eat a lot of other available foods. They usually stop eating the greens after they've been frosted and wilt. Once the cold weather hits (not yet this year in SE PA) the roots turn very sugary and they will eat them until spring when they turn to mush. I'm saying what they do here in my patch for three years running since I started planting them. Depending on the area, the weather and other available food they may do something totally different.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have planted turnips for the past 3 years. I never see deer in them till the end of deer season. When we get a good snow fall you will see all kinds of deer. In one of my food plots I planted clover in with the turnips and the deer will walk through the turnips and eat the clover. The reason I plant the turnips is for winter feed for the deer.

·
Registered
358 Posts
While they may eat the turnips at any given time, it is true that a couple of hard frosts will bring the sugar in the turnips up into the leaves. Every year that I've planted turnips its usually around this time of year when the deer really start to wipe them out. Keep your eyes on that field cause once they start to eat them they won't stop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts