Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add about a quarter inch to my draw length but don't want to twist my string because my peep is aligned perfectly. Adjusting the cam modules moves things too far -- only need a little.

So can I just shorten my cables a few twists? I understand that this will add some draw weight but that's not a problem. Are there other issues like timing and let-off factors that are a concern?

I shoot a 2003 Protec with Cam 1/2.

Thanks
ox

·
Registered
275 Posts
twist the buss cable

You can put twist in the buss cable and lengthen your draw. But you might get to hard into the top cam. You'll have to experiment with it. If your not hard into the top cam you can take twists out of the power cable and this will also lenthen draw. These cam 1/2 are tricky on draw length adj. when twisting cables.

·
Registered
745 Posts
right

Randy is right about one thing there are very tricky. Once you get the cams in sync. (I know there not a two cam)but you do need to get them touching at the same time. Ox once you get them set your best bet is to use the string to adjust your draw. Hope this helps.

·
Member # 75
3,483 Posts
Since you said cables (plural) is assume it is 2 cam/wheel.

Twisting up the cables will increase DL and increase DW and BH some.

Untwisting the string will increase DL and increase DW but decrease BH some.

On a string with a reasonable number of twists, three twists will usually bring the peep back around to center.

On Fury X cams the string is a PITA to remove one end for adjustment compared to cable adjustments which can be done without any tools whatsoever, that I just do the cables.

This is easier if your cables were made exactly the same length originally. It is not a slam dunk to make four cables exactly the same length so that they have the same number of twists at the same length under load.

There are those who prefer to adjust the string in lieu of ending up with unforseen timing and synchronization changes.

·
Registered
275 Posts
On a cam 1/2

If you twist up the buss cable you lengthen if you twist up the power cable you shorten they are different than a two cam more like a single with dual track idler.

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
last night i twisted (shortened) each cable on my cam.5s about 2 and a half turns. Each cable was then on he exact same spot on the marks of the cams. Actually they were both touching the same mark so they were not centered between the marks (they were not centered before either but in the same spots).

This gave me the extra "smidge" of draw lenght that I needed and it felt perfect. I didn't notice much change in the let-off or wall. The draw weight felt slightly higher but I could have been imagining it so I took a half turn out of each limb. Then it all felt PERFECT.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts