Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much can I expect to twist out of a string to get a 28.5 Vectrix plus to 28.25.

Is it possible...what are the side effects of this.

·
Time Flies
13,281 Posts
How much can I expect to twist out of a string to get a 28.5 Vectrix plus to 28.25.

Is it possible...what are the side effects of this.
Depending how many twists you already have in the string, 10 twists should shorten it up .25 inches. You can expect your poundage to go down a few pounds (2-3), and your let-off should also decrease by just a touch.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ok ............................... Living in a parallel dimension where compounds behave like re curves and limb deflection increases with shortened string. I am happy to be corrected on my confused ideas:thumbs_up

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Shortening the string on a compound reduces both draw length and draw weight slighlty.

On a recurve bow adding twsts will indrease the brace height and limb preload so poundage will increase. This job is done by the power cable on a compound.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yes I know but sometimes I make mistakes and that was one of them. Spent days messing with a friends bow to get his draw length perfect(he is new to archery) and he needs a low starting weight. Suprised how many full grown men struggle with even loewpoundage when new to archery.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Let me add another dimension. first by qualification, I'm a rank amateur considering myself merely a plinker. (right now I'm working on minute of hayroll @ 50' :eek:)

I recently got a longbow with a string overlong I believe. Bent on, the string lay only 3 3/4" above the grip. At 40# the string whacked the root of my thumb or top of my wrist, however you want to call it.

I hit upon the idea of twisting the string raising the set height to 6" above the grip as seeming to be right using the TLAR* rule of computation.
* (TLAR= That Looks About Right)

I had tried to post a question about formulating the correct height but the topic didn't seem to make it into the forum.

I also admit, being utterly ignorant about such things, to a concern of placing a strain on the string by doing this.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
most recurve have a sticker or silk screened on the lower limb with draw weight, brace height, and string lenght. if you post the make and modle I'm sure some one know what it should be. You can also post on the trad section for more help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts