Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some time fixing my bow up and getting the cams in timing and twisting and un-twisting cables I finally got everything in specs NOW my question is..... is there a set standard for the amount of twist the cables should have? You can see in the pictures that the control cable is not Twisted nearly as much as the buss cable. Is that going to be a problem? Is it okay to shoot like that or do I need to get new string and cables?
20180105_101208.jpg
20180105_101119_Burst01.jpg

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The most common rule is one complete twist in 1.5 of string length. That is not a set in stone rule though, I prefer something around 1.25" twist, to me it makes a more rounder string. You can have more
than the 1.5" twist with no problems, I've done that but it sure makes an ugly string.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,681 Posts
So, when you get into building your own strings and your own cables...you will find that there IS a range for a single twist should be no shorter than....and there is a RANGE for a single twist should be no longer than. So, a single twist about 1.5-inches long, is average. You COULD make a string or a cable, with a lower twist count, so a single twist is as LONG as 2-inches. Sometimes, a particular string material gives better results (stability) if you use more twists, to get a shorter single twist length, like as short as 1-inch. Since your bow is now tuned to your liking, now you COULD put each end loop around a 1/4-inch diameter bolt, and stretch at 100 lbs of tension, and measure the outside measurement from bolt to bolt, and write down the measurement. Then, you would find a custom string maker you like, and specify the length for each cable, and the length for the bowstring. Draw board and some chain links are an easy way to measure a string or a cable.

That is the length of ONE twist of the RED paracord.

Draw board boat winch, I use to measure a bowstring or a cable.

100 lbs of tension.

I use two chain links, a chain link inside each end loop.

MEasure from metal post to metal post, if you have a stretcher for bowstrings and cables. Otherwise, while the string or cable is under 100# of tension, measure from metal surface to metal surface of the chain link. Do not measure from end loop to end loop.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks for the information guys

·
Registered
800 Posts
If you strings are correct measurements no don’t worry about it. One is always gonna have more twists. Buss cable is to get your poundage in correct weight. Control cable gets your timing in place. Then check draw length and twist or untwist the string to get correct length. If your poundage is correct, your timing is correct and draw length is correct then you are ready to shoot.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Depends where you read it. The paper that comes with 8190f iirc recommend 5-15 twist.

Your main issue is to many twist where it wants to curl up on it’s self.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts