Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First question...

I see alot of talk about left wing feathers being used. Why do traditional guys prefer left over right wing? I only ask, because I have right helical clamps for my jo-jann. If I go with left wing, I will have to buy new clamps.

second question....

I see alot of debate over three under or a split finger release. Is one better than the other for a new guy like me that is just learning?

·
Registered
76,751 Posts
I don't know... IT DOESN'T MATTER. I've never considered leftwing feathers.

BOTTOM LINE.... it shouldn't matter one way or the other. If you likeorwant left, use them, same as for right.

Three under or split... I use split and it is a CLEANER RELEASE FOR ME. Three under is more accurate for some shooters or rather, makes aiming easier for them.

Aloha ....

·
Registered
551 Posts
First question...

I see alot of talk about left wing feathers being used. Why do traditional guys prefer left over right wing? I only ask, because I have right helical clamps for my jo-jann. If I go with left wing, I will have to buy new clamps.

second question....

I see alot of debate over three under or a split finger release. Is one better than the other for a new guy like me that is just learning?
No real difference in left/right fletching. I'm partial to right wing, but that's because my I only have straight and right helical clamps for my fletching jig (BPE PSF). Just make sure not to mix and match on the same arrow.

As for split vs 3-under: 3-under places the arrow higher up and closer to your eye (think about sighting down a shotgun). Some people can make it work, but I'm not one of them. I could never get the windage consistant. Experiment on your own to see if it works for you. The only difference is that a bow setup for 3-under will have the nockset 1/8-3/8" higher then with split-finger.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
it doesnt matter any more. That applied to bows of long ago. The majority of folks shoot RW today with no issue at all....

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Left/right wing is a personal choice.

IMHO you should shoot both types of release styles and then choose the one that works best for you. I am not a coach but if I were I would start everyone with spilt finger and they could try three under. This way they would know how to do both. I shoot three under but I can shoot split and did for a long time.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Left-or right wing doesn't matter. However, in your case it DOES, since you have a RW helical clamp. So you should use a RW fletching too.
To be more specific: Left wing feathers should be used to rotate the arrow counter clockwise, right wing clockwise (as viewed by the shooter). The same with Rw or LW helical clamps.
So if you have RW helical clamps, you should use RW fletchers, otherwise the rotations would conclict, resulting in a poor flight.

Here you find a good fletching guide: http://www.trueflightfeathers.com/guide.htm

Split-finger is the preferred way for traditional archery. However, if three fingers under works better for you, shoot in that way then.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
ONE reason why I shoot LW. I use the cock feather touching the end of my nose as AN anchor reference. SHooting RW feathers doesn't work with this (feather/shelf clearance issues with RW feathers).

One reason archers prefer RW is simple. Your arrow is spinning in the direction that will have your field points "tighten" on impact. LW will see them loosen, moreso. I just tighten mine down with a pair of pliers and don't worry about it.

3-under or split? I like using my middle finger as ANOTHER anchor reference in the corner of my mouth. 3-under allows me to do this. And....the arrow's closer to my eye. I feel MUCH more in control shooting 3-under. Split seems much more "random" (aiming) to ME.

Good luck with whichever method you employ.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
My take:

To answer the first question, wing doesn't matter. I have only shot right wing to shoot right bevel broadheads. (wing needs to match bevel) Like grizzlies. Other than that, I usually shoot left wing because it is more available, you can get more colors at three rivers anyways.

To answer the second, I often wondered this. I started shooting split. I would anchor with index finger in the corner of my mouth but I never was very good. I tried anchoring with middle finger in the corner of my mouth and I was much better but not good. Then I hurt my index finger (skinned it) and decided to try three under. It was a cleaner release, put the arrow right under my eye, and just felt better. Haven't looked back since.

It's really just personal preferance.

·
Registered
278 Posts
J V I have found the same thing with right wing feathers, I also shoot with cock feather touching my nose. If you turn cock feather straight out from the riser, the bottom hen feather hits the shelf hard enough to make the rear of the arrow " bounce up a little, Also it will wear a groove in the shelf pad. With a left wing helical, the rear of the feather is in the same place, But the forward part of the feather is turned out of the way so it doesn't hit the shelf . Also if you put a chunk of string wax on the field point threads and then tighten them, They stay snug.

Ike

·
Registered
246 Posts
im no expert but when i shot right handed feathers my field points were loose after a few shots and sometimes even just one. as soon as i started shooting lefties it stopped. i dunno maybe my case was just special

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
when i shot right handed feathers my field points were loose after a few shots and sometimes even just one. as soon as i started shooting lefties it stopped. i dunno maybe my case was just special
Can't explain this. It defies physics!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
im no expert but when i shot right handed feathers my field points were loose after a few shots and sometimes even just one. as soon as i started shooting lefties it stopped. i dunno maybe my case was just special
Same here. I only use right wing feathers and my points come loose all the time.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
A lot of guys claim to use 3 under because it makes it easier to aim, and I can see how they could come to that conclusion, and it's obviously working for them, as you can tell by their accuracy level. As far as I am concerned though, I personally prefer split finger as shooting that way makes me feel a little more "in control" of the arrow...try both and use the one you feel most comfortable with

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The answer to your second question is, YES. Three under is easier for a beginner to learn. We have done experiments at the club with kids shooting for the first time. We have set half of them up with 3 under bows and half with split finger bows. Universally, the 3 under shooters get on target faster than the split finger shooters. The reason is because three under places the arrow higher on their face and closer to their eye, enabling them to better shotgun the arrow. It also reduces the gap necessary, and in many cases allows them to be point on at indoor distances. Finally it reduces the chances of them pinching the nock off the string or the arrow off the rest. In international barebow competition virtually all archers shoot three under as it enables them to stringwalk, which is another whole subject by itself. However, I'd suggest you try both and see which feels better for you.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
In international barebow competition virtually all archers shoot three under as it enables them to stringwalk, which is another whole subject by itself.
As far as I know, this is also VERY illegal.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Since when is stringwalking VERY illegal? IBO allows it in Recurve Unaided style. NAA & FITA both allow it in Barebow style. NFAA allows it in Barebow style. And IFAA allows it in Barebow Recurve and Barebow Compound styles.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I'm no world class shooter. But the shoots I've shot in say one finger (at least) must be in contact with the arrow. How can you do that and string walk?

What the associations you cite allow ......I can't comment on. No experience with them. I've shot only local, state and regional (South) shoots. In ALL of these.....string walking is not legal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts